Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DR Low Rider 5 Strings sets?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by armybass, Jul 10, 2002.

1. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    I love the Low Riders on my Sterling. The Sterling is a bright axe and the Low Riders compliment the sound of the bass. I have been using DR High Beams on my Stingray 5 and they are a bit too bright for me. They have been on for a month and are still full of zing. I am thinking of going with the DR Low Riders 5's on that bass too. Any thoughts on the Low Rider 5's? AND MOST IMPORTANT, is the B string Tapered? Me no likey the Tapered B string.

2. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    The Lo-Rider B-string is NOT tapered. Lo-Riders should sound great on a Stingray...

3. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    Stainless Lo-Riders are all i use, especially on my 5. their inherant stiffness makes the B feel great, and they've got tons of growl.

4. armybass

Jul 19, 2001
    Thanks guys, that is exactly what I needed to hear. I just ordered a bunch of them and will give them a test run this weekend. I absolutely love the Low Riders on my Sterling....can't wait to hear them on the Stingray 5.

5. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Should work out well on a 'Ray5. I'm currently using Lowrider Nickels on my Modulus Q6. Very nice.

6. armybass

Jul 19, 2001
    How do they sound on a Q6 boogie? What pups in your Q6?

7. armybass

Jul 19, 2001
    Well I have them on now and the balance from string to strng is real nice and the tone is there. Also, the high end clicking that I had with the Hi Beams is gone. I know they need to settle in a bit, so I will wait a few days before making up my mind. But so far, so good.

8. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Full and balanced. My Q6 has Barts.

9. armybass

Jul 19, 2001
    Yeah, Modulus basses w/ Barts are unbeatable for tone. My first Q6 had Barts and it was great. My second had EMG's.....not so great. The Q5 I have now is Bart loaded and is quite sweet. Gonna put the DR's on there soon too.

10. armybass

Jul 19, 2001
    The tone of the DR Lo Rider 5's is very solid and matches the great vibe that I have gotten out of the 4 string sets. The B string sounds great fretted but not quite as good open. I found the EB Slinkys and the last set of tapered core DR's I had were more focused and tight compared to this set of DR Lo Rider 5's.

11. beermonkey

beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I used DR Lowriders for a very long period of time... then I discovered how wonderful the new Elixer nanoweb strings sound. If you have the means, I would highly suggest giving them a flog.

In my opinion, they sound like Lowriders that have been played on for about 6-8 hours. I've had this set on my main bass (Mike Lull M5) for 3 weeks now, and they still sound great. I would go through a set of Lowriders in a week and a half at the VERY most.