1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

DR Low Rider stainless lights for L2500?

Discussion in 'G&L Bass Forum' started by atrapp, Mar 21, 2009.

1. atrapp

atrapp

Dec 4, 2006
    Taichung, Taiwan
    In a previous post I stated how the black beauties were to loose for the 34" L2500, while the D'Adarrio 170's are tight enough for the L2500... Has anyone tried the DR lights and are they worth the extra $13?

TIA!

2. mainsail

mainsail

Mar 24, 2007
    San Diego Ca
    First, what is it you want to achieve? Do you desire a lighter gauge for slapping or do you just want a more comfortable sring tension?

I've been using DR Sunbeams, medium, .45-105 on my L2500 for almost two years and they're very good sounding and comfortable on the hands.

I also use a .120 B.

3. atrapp

atrapp

Dec 4, 2006
    Taichung, Taiwan
    no slapping, just a high tension string... this may not be relevant, but I rarely use this bass (got a slew of boutique basses that see regular usage) so a string that "stores" well would be nice too.

4. mainsail

mainsail

Mar 24, 2007
    San Diego Ca
    Okay, I would also suggest the DR Sunbeam medium lights, with a .120 B. That would be .45-.65-.80-.100

I've used those also and they held up well and lasted quite nicely. The only reason my last change were mediums, is that my shop didn't have the medium-lights on hand.

They should store well also.

HTH

5. atrapp

atrapp

Dec 4, 2006
    Taichung, Taiwan
    Wouldn't the Sunbeams have the same tension as Black Beauties what with the round core and all?

6. mainsail

mainsail

Mar 24, 2007
    San Diego Ca
    Good question. I've never experienced the Black Beauties so I really couldn't say.

The Lo-Riders with the hex core are touted to be a stiffer string. I did run a couple set on my L2K and I can say they felt pretty stiff. I like to bend the G once in a while and it required a bit more effort with the hex core strings.

Neither the Sunbeams nor the High Beams are "floppy" by any means. The reason I'm suggesting the mediums or medium lights, is that I'm guessing the really light gauge may be more flexible than you might want.

I'm using the medium-lights on my L2K and they're plenty flexible and not overbearingly stiff.

So far, this is only one opinion. Maybe some others will chime in with their experiences.

7. atrapp

atrapp

Dec 4, 2006
    Taichung, Taiwan
    on a 4 string round cores are no sweat, with the 34" scale a round core B is just too loose IMHO, well on the G&L L2500 anyway - the D'Adarrio 170s work well enough - I'm hoping someone will opine on the DR low rider stainless lights. Can you dig it my brother?

8. mainsail

mainsail

Mar 24, 2007
    San Diego Ca
    Good luck with your quest.
    your on the right track.