DR Low Riders and Low B String Tension

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Quadzilla, Mar 21, 2005.

1. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Hi all,

Bought a set of DR Low Rider (stainless) for my G&L L-2500 (U.S.). Strings feel/look/sound great except for the low B seems a little floppier than I like it. I was pretty sure that I read here and on other sites than the DR Low Riders had pretty good tension. Maybe I just got a defective Low B string?? Please let me know your experiences of the DR low B vs other brands if you have sampled two brands or more.

Thanks so much!
  2. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I tried stainless Lo-Riders on my 34" scale Fender JDV, and the B-string was one of the tightest that I've used...
  3. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Thanks Slater, I just called DR about 30 min ago. Told them that my B was a bit floppy. They told me that was not normal and were sending me, free of charge, a new Low B, same as the one I had bought AND a tapered version of the same string (also free of charge) just to try/compare both to the one I bought. Very cool. Great folks, very friendly, no digital answering service when you call them, you get a person right away. Gotta love DR! I'll let you know what comes of this with trying the other two strings they are sending me.

Meanwhile, anybody else have an opinion of tension of DR Low Riders Low B vs other brands???
  4. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    What gauge B string did you get? I found the 130 much better then the 125. You can get ether in a set of 45-65-85-105.
  5. DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    On my L-2500 a 0.130 is much tighter than a 0.125.

The taper may not be long enough to go thru body. Before you evaluate the taper be sure to raise the saddle a bit because the string will be a true Low Rider if the taper hits the saddle.