1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

DR Low Riders for my Squire Five String?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Joel Vredenburg, Dec 24, 2017.

1. Considering getting a set of DR Low Riders for my Fender Squire 5 string. I've never used DR's before but I've heard good things. Thoughts and suggestions?

BrentSimons likes this.
  2. mwbonsall

mwbonsall Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2000
    Casa Grande, Arizona
    I've used them for years, love them, very high quality and very consistent. Give em a try and see if you like them, everyone has a different taste in what they want.

Mark

3. Joel,
    Welcome to Talkbass. It may help to describe what kind of sound you want so us string-lurkers can give useful advice. I love these strings and live on one of my basses (in the last case - for 3.5 yrs). Good bottom end sound with a crisp upper end. Good for harmonics with a little more tension than most round wounds (it's a hexcore string). Definitely worth a try! Good luck.

4. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    I absolutely love DR nickel Low Riders on my 4 strings, but I've had problems in the past with their B's breaking at the bridge saddle when I try to set the witness point.
    Other people use them just fine, though.

BrentSimons and Joel Vredenburg like this.
  5. bwildt

bwildt

Mar 21, 2017
    Wichita, Kansas
    I'm generally a flats kind of guy (TI & Chromes), but I have a 3 basses that wear rounds (G&L L2500, EBMM American SUB 5, Peavey T-40). They all wear low-rider stainless. I don't slap. I want a string that is not zingy but has a good low-mid response. I like the low-riders because they are beefier in the lower mids than other DR strings like hi-beams and sunbeams. I go with stainless because they have a fairly long life and still sound good as they get older.

6. Thanks for the advice.

7. It will be a good fit. They sounded great on my P Bass. You will enjoy their time and longevity.

8. Have my 1st set on my yamaha 6 string.I'm impressed a month of daily use into using them. They've lost a bit of brightness but still have great growl and thump and they feel very good. My only complaint is my fingers get black from the nickle. I'm going to try a coated DR next.

BrentSimons likes this.
  9. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Only an issue with the B string, and no issue at all if you string through body.

Joel Vredenburg likes this.