Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DR Lowriders or RotoSounds

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by rick1906, Jun 29, 2005.

1. rick1906

rick1906

Jun 6, 2002
    NC
    I play funk, gospel, and R&B on a Smith 5 string. Until recently, I've always used Smith strings. I tried Labella SuperSteps but they are dead. So last night I bought a set of DR Lowriders and a set of Rotosound Swing Bass Stainless Steels. Which should I try first.

2. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    eeny meeny miny moe catch the bass string by the toe, if it hollars let it go, eeny meeny miny moe. :smug: But seriously, having used both brands I would try the Rotos first since they do not last as long. I think they are a very coarse string, they have a rough feel to them. I tried them once on my Modulus Q5 and they absolutly sucked. However, on my Warwick Thumb bass they were the best strings I had ever used, made the bass really growl. The DRs' are my string of choice these days. The Lowriders are great for funk and slap and whatever. They sound great on my Q5 and my Fenders. Some people say they are a little stiffer than most strings. Being that you are already using Smith strings, I don't think you will notice a difference as Smith strings seem stiff too. Let us know how the strings react to your bass.

3. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I am kind of sick of the lo-riders I'm using. I find them a little less expressive than my other favored strings (blue steel), on my Ibanez SR885. I dont even think they are that great for slap, though the low B comes off a lot more controlled (rather than super boomy) than on other strings and natural harmonics are noticably louder. Tone too modern for my taste.

4. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner at Mo's Shop - Tech at Nordstrand Supporting Member

May 25, 2003
    Studio City+Redlands, CA
    Endorsing artist: Nordstrand - Genzler Amplification - Sadowsky - Dunlops Strings - DR Strings
    I know I'm not answering your question, but on Smith I always liked better Smith strings. IME/O.

Mo'

5. I haven't used the roto's. but I am an avid DR fan. I use Lo-riders on my acoustic bass, and bootzillas on my electric. I love the feel of the Lo-riders, and think the slap tone is great. I don't play a 5-stringer though so I can't comment on the low B string. Just opinion, but I like the bootzillas the best for slap/funk tone, they also have deep bass feel when played finger-style.

6. justateenpoet

justateenpoet Have you...killed the Venture brothers!?!?

May 14, 2005
    Connecticut
    I've used both strings on my Corvette 4 string, and I like th DR's better (they're what I have on now). As many others have said, the Roto's lose the high end fast and do wear out much quicker. I agree with seansbrew, the DR's are quite funky and punchy. Try them both...if you like the DR's I'd also reccomend trying the Marcus Miller Hi Beams. They're notr as stiff as the lo riders, but they have much of the same tone.

7. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

I haven't noticed the DR Lo-Riders to be stiff at all. They seem too loose. Before getting lo-riders, I used Fender Superbass and Original (nickelplated) roundwounds.

8. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    I play alot of the same stuff you do. I used Rotos for years, their quality is not what it used to be, I also play pretty hard and stainless strings eventually beat my frets. These days I am running D'addario EXL220-5 on my standard scale basses. They are super light gauge nickels, .040-.125. They are moderately priced, very consistant and relaxed as can be. If you don't hit a home run with the DR's order some of these up and give them a try.