Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DR Lowriders

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bottomfeedins, May 13, 2004.

1. Just got a set. Can't wait to hear them. One dilemma...whether to put them on my Jazz or T-bird. :confused:

Presently, the Jazz has GHS Boomers and the T-bird has GHS supersteels... :cool:

2. Frijoles Negros

Frijoles Negros

Mar 21, 2004
    Lets have that review. Im waiting for my set to come in the mail.

3. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    I had the music store I bought my Roscoe from put a set of medium gauge Lo-Riders on my Roscoe SKB3006. I absolutely LOVE these strings.

High tension, bright but not harsh, punchy mids, really nice feel overall. They're not rough on my fingers or my frets either, so that's always a great bonus to any stainless string.

By far my favorite string that I've tried so far, but that isn't necessarily a huge number.

Peavey Cirrus Stainless
    Dean Markeley SR2000 Stainless
    Ernie Ball's, both nickel and stainless
    GHS Boomers
    Sadowsky Stainless

And I think that's all. Not sure. I'll probably think of more later.

4. modflea

modflea

Apr 26, 2004
    Lafayette, LA
    I'm a huge fan of the Lowriders myself. I use the medium set and they do they trick for me. I was GHS forever. I also tried Ken Smiths, DM Blue Steels, Trace Elliott (anybody remember those?), XLs, Elixirs, Slinkys, and of all those, the DR Lowriders really got the sound and feel I wanted out of strings. Enjoy!!

5. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I think they woudl compliment the jazz quite well. I play Lowriders on my Czech Spector and love them. I used to play with D'Addario half-flats, but couldn't get the good slap adn tap tone I wanted. Lowriders are built for slapping :D

6. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Yup! My Rebop loves the Lowriders SS.
    I have not heard a bass that did not sound good with LR....

7. Yep, so I opted for the Jazz to have the first taste of DR LR's. Let me tell you, these strings are awesome!! :hyper: They sound almost perfect. I've found a new brand!! They made my Jazz bass sound 100 times better than when I had GHS Boomers on it. I couldn't believe it...it was all in the strings :D Well I know what I'll be using for a while. :bassist:

I I'm still on the endless quest for a perfect string. How does the sound differ from Hibeams to Lo-riders? And where in the world can I find a set of TI's??

8. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    I recently put on a set of DR Lr MH6 30-130 on my corvette, replacing the the TI Powerbass set... :meh:

From some aspects, the result was better than what I expected, but from others, it was worse.
    Improvement:
    - the B is a bit better now - a bit clearer and more focused-sounding
    - sounds very good for slap and tap as well
    - the B is tighter - but some strings like the D or G or C feel a bit less tense now; so i guess the higher strings of TI had higher tension than the LR

The TI's advantages:
    - the sound was very even in the whole frequency range, maybe a little bit accentuated lo-mids; growly, clear deeps and clear highs, that were still clear and zingy when popped even after over half-a-year's use
    - however, the LR is very hi-fi: strong and clear lows, clear highs, but the hi-mid is sort of like cut out... that makes it ideal for slap, but the growl factor is reduced.
    - the TI B was easier to fit in my bridge - i had to file and force the LR B in the bridge...
    - the TI's B also felt just a little bit smoother when doing slides

To sum it all up:
    Both the TI Powerbass and the DR Lo Riders are a great set of strings and are similar tightness-, flexibility- and feel-wise, but the TI is a bit more even-sounding and growly, while the DR LR is quite hi-fi, therefore good for that slap-tone.

Of course, IMHO and Just my $0.02 applies

9. Thanks for the info. I'm definitely down for getting some TI's at some point. I just don't know where to get them, or what they cost. The DR's were $30 and so well worth it :cool: . Are the TI Rock bass strings nickel or steel. In the beginning, I vowed never to get steel because they chew up your frets, but now I don't know if I want to use nickle because steel sounds so much better. Hmmm....I wonder if nickle would sound good on my T-bird...

10. ENTiTY

ENTiTY

May 2, 2004
    Finland
    I totally agree. Plus they are very long lasting, atleast for me.

11. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    They're the only strings I'm using from now on with my BTB405 - amazing sound, nice smooth feel, long life. They're a bit pricey: around $50 Canadian, but I think it's worth it if they're replaced once every 3 (possibly more) months.

About the reduced growl factor... I can't agree with that. My BTB has great growl with the DR's that it just didn't have with the stock Elixirs.

12. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    i played with DR lowriders 100 for a few years, loved em to death.

started playing with Di'As Prism in a 110 90 70 50, but i mainly only play slap on that one

when im doin more of a rock/ringerstyle playing DR lowrider nickels sound awsome!

Cheers
    PB

13. Hey Pasdabeer! Could you describe the differences between the ss lo-riders and prisms, please.

Cheers!

14. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    i only played DR SS low riders once, they were pretty nice, i liked the nickles better, big fat punchy tone, great for finger style IMO

the prism's are VERY bright strings, and really strong, i went threw a set of DRs a month easy, the prisms lasted me a good 3-4 months, tone stayed VERY well compared to nickels, but they didnt have the deeper tone do them.

I have a tendency to really dig into the strings, and i think the prisms give a really cool cutting tone ( some people probly hate it )

Really you should get a set of both and see what you like better, ive played quite a few diff brands and so far these 2 are my favorite

Cheers
    PB

15. Thanks :) I've tried a few including ss lo-riders. Prisms and nickle LR's are on my list. Right now I'm digging Blue Steels.

16. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    heheh i couldnt stand the blue steels, i dunno why they just sounded really bad to me ( could have been the bass, i was using them on my back up guitar )

17. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Did someone say that DR had discontinued the Low Riders, or was that some other type of DR string?

18. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    D'Addario Slowwounds maybe? If DR lost LR's they would anger a lot, I mean a lot of people!

19. You can get TI's JF344's, JF345's, THE DUDE PIT

The TI Rock Bass Strings are Magnecore Roundwound Hexcore. (Nickle)

Check HERE

[​IMG]
    Treena

20. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    The Fat Beams was renamed Marcus Miller sig, if that's what you were thinking