DR Marcus Miller Fat Beams?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by armybass, Nov 6, 2003.

1. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Anyone know how these differ from Hi Beams and Low Riders? Thanks
  2. They are stiffer, have more (warm?) midrange, not quite as bright and more thump/punch. Very good strings in my opinion. check out rickbass's review in the review section too.
  3. tappel

May 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    They're just like Hi-Beams in that they are roundwound stainless steel on a round core (Lo-Riders have a hex core). The difference is in the winding process that produces more midrange and bottom. As carl-anton said, these strings have a very good reputation.

4. Hi Tappel. Didn't know about the winding proces being different from Hi-beams. Do you know in what way it's different? Slower winding like, erh, Slowounds or?
  5. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    I played Hi Beams and Lo riders, would you guys consider them somewhere in between? Not as brite as high beams but not as much low end as the low riders?
  6. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    They sound great on my Sterling and Stingray 5. I have been using Dr Lo Riders and Hi Beams for a few years but these strings just sound fantastic. I find myself setting my Sterling rather flat with these strings. They are great for slapping.
  7. Ricplaya, I think Fat-beams has as much low end as Lo-Riders. The pronounced midrange of the Fats maybe "hide" the low end a little, but essentially they are pretty close. Maybe a little more thump in the Lo-Riders though.