Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DR. MORTON'S TORTUROUS EXERCISES

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by mcnaire2004, Feb 12, 2006.

1. glivanos

glivanos Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2005
    Philadelphia Area
    I have the Dr. Morton's Miraculous Scale Fingerings Book and I find it to be a little un-conventional. If you're not used to non-conventional fingerings, like using electric bass fingerings in the middle part of the fingerboard or using thumb position fingerings before VI position, it gets confusing.

I find myself going back to my Simandl book.

2. SirFunk

SirFunk

May 24, 2001
    Lincoln, NE
    I to have recently got the Scale book. I agree it is a bit unconventional. However, i have found the fingerings work very well. I plan to see what my teacher thinks of it at my next lesson. I don't want it to throw off my technique. So, I would say it might be worth looking into but be objective about the contents of the book.

3. prelims222

prelims222

Sep 20, 2004
    Southeast US
    Its okay - I got it and never really used it much. There isn't anything in there that will make you a better player unless you already know how to play the bass well enough to benefit from the exercises.

For the money, I think the hal Robinson books are great and much more progressive in their scope.

4. Check out Sturm's 110 Etudes and Studies. That's a good one; it has plenty of good excercizes for both the left and right hands.

5. bpclark

bpclark

Apr 30, 2003
    West Central, OH
    Torturous Exercises is not at all an etudes book like Sturm. In fact, there is not much about it that is musical. If you are a fairly advanced player who is displined and patient in your practice habits, I think this book can be a great benefit. It really focuses in on various aspects of technique(like bass calesthenics). On the hand if you aren't the type of player I described (or you don't have lots of time) then this book will sit on the shelf (as mine does for the most part).

6. TomGale

TomGale

Jul 31, 2005
    American School of Double Bass
    If you are a fairly advanced player who is displined and patient in your practice habits, I think this book can be a great benefit.

Amen! Again, like the books of the Triangulation of Fingering Systems, it's only as good as you know how to apply it. By the way, it's really not torturous. That title was a little tounge in cheek
    Tom Gale

7. JayR

JayR

Nov 9, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    the biggest difficulty in using electric bass fingerings, for me, is lapsing into electric bass technique at the same time. I've been playing electric bass for a lot longer than I've been playing double bass, so as soon as I start doing something in 4-finger "electric mode" my fingers often instinctively react as if I was playing an electric. This can create a lot of problems with one finger not being down behind the finger being stopped (1-3-4 fingerings tend to do funny things to my 2nd finger unless I think really hard about it). Basically, I've found anything like that forces you to be a lot more conscious about your technique while you're using it (which isnt necessarily a bad thing, it's just that I feel there's danger there unless you're very careful). I find myself using 4 finger system most often in the area around 4th position for fast runs in keys like E. there's a section in the last movement of Brahms 2nd that comes to mind (you guys know what I'm talking about). This in mind, and considering how hard Dr. Morton's recordings rock, I'd say at least giving the book a try certainly couldn't hurt you.

8. TomGale

TomGale

Jul 31, 2005
    American School of Double Bass
    The biggest transition to upright seems to be in placement of fingers. On the upright, the hand must move it in what I call, "a rock and roll" movement. On the EB (which I admit was about 5% of my experience), the fingers seem to lock down in position. That is deadly on the UB. The hand is expanding from the closed hand (Simandl) into the open hand (Franke, Karr, me, etc), and is more difficult for the upright so the hand MUST move in a "rock and roll" fashion. Locking down the hand - esp the 1st finger - is asking for pain.
    Tom Gale