1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Dr neon vs. dragon skins

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Aboy, Mar 15, 2013.

1. Aboy

Aboy

Dec 3, 2010
    Hi, I've been researching both sets of strings and I am in need of a new string change so I was wondering what kind of tone does each set of strings have? Which ones last longer? Things like that. Thanks for the help!

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Dragon Skins are coated Stainless Steel, Neons are coated nickel.

Since they are coated the same way, both feel similar and have similar life expectancy. Since they are both round core, they both feel similar tension-wise.

Dragon Skins are a little brighter, Neons are a bit more mellow.

Neons..the color will wear off. Skins are clear coated so there is no color to wear. Skins are a dark grey color. I use them on my Warwick and are the best strings I've found for that bass.

You can't go wrong either way, but if you want my honest opinion I say go with Dragon Skins unless you want the Neon Color. I just like the extra brightness and no chance of color flaking.

Also keep in mind that anything said about Neons also applies to Black Beauties, Cool Blues, and Red Devils. Same strings, just different color.

Mystic Michael likes this.
  3. hotbass57

hotbass57

Nov 27, 2011
    Fairfield,Ohio
    I have the DR Silver Stars on my jazz. They look like a bright SS and our very bright sounding. I haven't noticed any flaking yet. Been on a couple months, still sound great.

4. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Silver Stars look awesome, too! I should have included them with the BlackBeauties/Blues/Reds :)

5. Aboy

Aboy

Dec 3, 2010
    I guesse I'll go with the skins, even though I love the colours on the neons, I prefer brighter strings.

6. NickTej22

NickTej22

Feb 17, 2013
    Largo FL
    what about black beauties? Are those coated?

7. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Same strings, different colors:
    Black Beauties
    Red Devils
    Cool Blues
    Silver Stars
    Neons

All coated nickel roundwound on round core.

8. Aboy

Aboy

Dec 3, 2010
    If I'm understanding mmbongo's reply correctly, the black beauties are the same strings as the neons just a different colours.

9. NickTej22

NickTej22

Feb 17, 2013
    Largo FL
    Dang I can't stand coated, I had elixirs and they made my bass look like it had dandruff.

10. Andy_D

Andy_D

Nov 28, 2009
    Corpus Christi, TX
    That correct all of the string listed are essentially coated round core nickels which pretty much equates in to Sunbeams. and the Dragon Skins are coated round core stainless which pretty much equates to coated High Beams.

The Dragon Skins made a remarkable change to my USA Cirrus 5. I put a set on my ATK305 and they are nice but no dramatic change like on my Cirrus. Again it's a matter of matching the right string with the right bass. It's magic when you find the correct match.

11. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    DR's are not coated like Elixirs. Totally different. DR's won't 'shed' their coating like Elixir.

12. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas