1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

DR Nickel Lo Rider Tapered B or Similar?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by donahue, Jan 18, 2017.

1. donahue

donahue Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2015
    Oregon
    Hi all,

DR Nickel Lo Riders are far and away my favorite string. I have them on 90% of my basses. I like the aggressive DR tone and mid-range growl I get from them while not being too stiff or too loose feeling. They also last longer. There is some magic there with that hex core and nickel plating combined with DR compression winding.

I recently purchased my first 5er and ordered a set of Nickel Lo Rider 40-120's. Much to my dismay the B is not tapered. This isn't going to work on my Warwick AFAIK, due to the bridge, and also some intonation problems.

I contacted DR about a tapered B and have not yet heard back. Is it possible to get a tapered B Nickel Lo Rider? Or will I be broken-hearted and have to try a different brand, thus not being able to use my favorite strings on my new favorite bass?
    And if that is the case does anyone have any suggestions for nickel-plated hex core strings with a tapered B that are awesome?

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    If you like LoRiders you may like Sadowsky Blue Labels.
    Sadowsky Blue Label Nickel Bass Strings - 5 String Set

Spector strings are fantastic as well.
    Spector Nickel Plated Steel Bass Strings - 5 String Set

I can also tell you this from first hand experience...GHS Progressives won't work on a Warwick as the taper is just barely not long enough.

And while you're at Bass Strings Online, ask Jason (@SLaPiNFuNK) via email about having custom LoRiders made with a taper. Seems like he may have offered that before but don't quote me on that as I could be mis-remembering. It's worth a shot though.

donahue likes this.
  3. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    I'm under assumption you can use tapered low B from DR Long Neck singles collections since the Long Necks also have hex core and available in both nickel plated steels and stainless steels.

AlexanderB and donahue like this.
  4. One thing to keep in mind is the tapered part of these strings is 3". If that turns out to be too long for your bass, it may not work very well.

5. donahue

Jun 10, 2015
    Oregon
    I believe 3in will be too long.

6. donahue

Jun 10, 2015
    Oregon
    So I just got off the phone with DR and they do NOT make a tapered B in the Nickel Lo Rider, not even custom order etc. They make a tapered SS Lo Rider set but the SS and the Nickel are pretty far apart in tone and feel.

I'm going to try the vise grip trick to fit the non tapered low B through my tailpiece but then I have a big fat B string riding over the saddle which will affect my action and intonation more than I would like, I'm afraid. Any suggestions guys? This almost makes me not want to play a 5. Thats how much I like those strings. :(

7. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I'd hit up Bass Strings Online and just order up a bunch of different single tapered B strings to see what works best. That way you can still use your LoRiders on the bottom 4.

donahue likes this.
  8. Double Agent

Double Agent Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    donahue likes this.
  9. donahue

Jun 10, 2015
    Oregon
    Holy guacamole 75% off! I'll give them a try

10. If I were you, I'd check with @SLaPiNFuNK first to make sure the .128-B on these sets are in fact tapered. There is no indication on the La Bella website or the BSO website about a tapered B.

11. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    This. I seem to remember LaBella B strings not being tapered other than the SuperSteps. But of course I've been wrong about maybe 40 other things this week so far :)

12. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
  13. donahue

Jun 10, 2015
    Oregon
    Good call guys. I did not order yet. Those La Bellas seems sweet but I will check on the B string first.

14. donahue

Jun 10, 2015
    Oregon
    Thank you all so much for the help! So it looks like I'm branching out and trying new strings. I have the SIT lite set in my cart with an added .120 SIT single kicker in case I don't like the .125 it comes with. I've also added a set of the Sadowsky Blue Labels lites. I like the SIT set becase the top 4 gauged like the Nickel Lo Rider Med-lite 4 string set I use 45-65-80-100 (great set btw)

I'm excited to try some new strings but at the same time a little bummed. I'm brand new to 5ers so I don't have much to go on. The specs on the suggested strings check out which I really appreciate the help on. Buuuut, strings were the only thing gear-wise I'm was 100% set on. I found my strings. It's everything else gear-wise I can't stop tweaking on lol.

Finding a set of strings you love sets a baseline (no pun intended) for all of your basses. Its how I can compare what basses sound different/better/worse than the others. If the strings are all the same great sounding strings you can more easily pick out the nuances of different basses. Even if I try a different kind on a particular bass, I always start with the NLR and thats how I tell how a bass sounds..compared to my other basses. I'm kind of ocd about that.

Well, that got too deep and whiny lol. Anyhow, I shall report back when I have a new set on. I will try the SIT set first. I've heard great things about SIT and Sadowsky strings so I'm sure I'll live.

mmbongo likes this.
  15. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    Most all La Bella Round Wound strings over .118 are Tapered. This includes the NPS Round Wound Series, SS Round Wound Series, and Deep Talkin' Rounds (discontinued).

DR only makes Long Necks in Stainless Steel.

To add to the confusion, DR makes a tapered Black Beauty set, but those are actually coated stainless strings with hex cores opposed to NPS coated w/ round cores like other black beauties.

16. donahue

Jun 10, 2015
    Oregon
    Cool, I just ordered a set of those as well. The price was definitely right! Custom light set.

17. Thanks for chiming in. It would be very helpful if you could incorporate this info on your website for future reference... unless it's already there and I missed it somehow.

18. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    hrmmm... It was on the sets page... Now it is gone! I'll update it... Weird...

Thanks for the heads up!

michael_t likes this.