Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DR Nickel Lo-Riders vs. D'Addario Half-Rounds for fretless

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Mystic Michael, Jun 6, 2005.

1. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Fellow TBers...

Although I would ordinarily cringe at the sight of yet another "vs." thread, here is one case where it would seem appropriate - at least to me... :meh:

In about two weeks, I'll be taking delivery of a nice new fretless four-string, and would like to use either groundwounds or compression-wounds on her. I've used Half Rounds - but way, way back in the day - and on a fretted P-bass - for that nice subdued dub tone. Much more recently, I've used Nickel Lo-Riders - but again, on a fretted four-string - this time a Carvin LB70...

Both are nice strings IMO, but I haven't used either on a fretless - and certainly haven't compared them against each other on a fretless. What would you say would be the main points of comparison and/or distinction between the two? Can anyone speak from experience?

Thanks...

MM

P.S. I might add that they're both available in an extra light gauge - .095-.075-.060-.040 - for direct comparision of apples to apples...