1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

DR Nickel Lo-Riders vs. D'Addario Half-Rounds for fretless

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Mystic Michael, Jun 6, 2005.

1. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Fellow TBers...

Although I would ordinarily cringe at the sight of yet another "vs." thread, here is one case where it would seem appropriate - at least to me... :meh:

In about two weeks, I'll be taking delivery of a nice new fretless four-string, and would like to use either groundwounds or compression-wounds on her. I've used Half Rounds - but way, way back in the day - and on a fretted P-bass - for that nice subdued dub tone. Much more recently, I've used Nickel Lo-Riders - but again, on a fretted four-string - this time a Carvin LB70...

Both are nice strings IMO, but I haven't used either on a fretless - and certainly haven't compared them against each other on a fretless. What would you say would be the main points of comparison and/or distinction between the two? Can anyone speak from experience?

Thanks...

MM

P.S. I might add that they're both available in an extra light gauge - .095-.075-.060-.040 - for direct comparision of apples to apples...