Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DR Nickel Lo-Riders vs. Sunbeams

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by buju, Jan 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. buju

buju

Jan 1, 2003
    St. Louis, MO, USA
    I know there are lots of DR threads, but this is a little different.
    Can anyone who has tried Nickel Lo-Riders and Sunbeams compare the two? As far as I can tell the only difference is the shape of the core, but what kind of difference does that make with these two? :confused:

I have been playing Hi-Beams for about a week now and I don't like them very much. They are too rough on my fingers. I'm used to slinkies, so I think the nickel is much better for me and I want to try one of the nickel DR's but can't afford to try them both.

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    The problem is that until you try both you won't know which you like more. That's one of the things I hate about bass guitar... you can spend lots of $$$'s experimenting with strings and know almost immediately that you hate a set once it's on the bass.

I use Nickel Sunbeams on a couple of my fretless, nice smooth feel, roundwound sound.

3. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I have used both; in fact, I still have a couple of Lo-Rider Nickel sets laying around.
    Sunbeams have been my choice for a few years now.
    ...and I don't know why.

FWIW, I don't like SS, either. Kinda "sticky" & "bright"(my basses are "bright enough). ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.