Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DR NICKEL or similair strings for Drop C#

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by naughtry, May 25, 2005.

1. naughtry

naughtry

Jan 31, 2004
    NYC / D.C.
    I just got a 76 ‘a neck’ P bass I’m trying to set this up on but currently play a newer MIA jazz. I've tried lots of strings in the past and was finally happy with DR Lo-Rider Nickels until I had to start tuning to Drop C#.

The Lo-Rider stainless steel 50-110 set give me OK tension but sound like crap to me compared to the Nickels. Only problem with those is DR doesnt offer a 110 Nickel set and the 4th string gets very sloppy and buzzes

Would a 120 from DRs five string Lo-Riders Nickel set work?

Would it be too much tension on my basses if tuned up from C# to D#?

If not DRs, what other strings are most like them but have more gauge options for my 4th string tuned to C#?

Any input appreciated.

2. I used GHS bass boomers heavey gauge with a .115 E and tuned to drop C# to play with a metalcore band, the 1 practice I had stock fender string and no tension what so ever and on my home I stoped a GC and picked up the heavy guage strings and never had a problem until I had to complety reset the action but once it was dialed in it worked great.

3. naughtry

naughtry

Jan 31, 2004
    NYC / D.C.
    ive been using a DR 120 with the 50-90 from a DR LowBeam SS set and like it.

Only problem is its so exspensive, the 120 is almost $14 alone plus $25 for the rest of the strings.