1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)
  2. The purpose of this forum is to solicit input on newsletter content.  Paul L. from Threadloom (threadloom_paul) is testing algorithms that will select threads to feature as "popular" in upcoming weekly emails.  He has access to this forum and will be posting here shortly.  Thanks! - Paul D.

DR NICKEL or similair strings for Drop C#

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by naughtry, May 25, 2005.

1. naughtry

naughtry

Jan 31, 2004
    NYC / D.C.
    I just got a 76 ‘a neck’ P bass I’m trying to set this up on but currently play a newer MIA jazz. I've tried lots of strings in the past and was finally happy with DR Lo-Rider Nickels until I had to start tuning to Drop C#.

The Lo-Rider stainless steel 50-110 set give me OK tension but sound like crap to me compared to the Nickels. Only problem with those is DR doesnt offer a 110 Nickel set and the 4th string gets very sloppy and buzzes

Would a 120 from DRs five string Lo-Riders Nickel set work?

Would it be too much tension on my basses if tuned up from C# to D#?

If not DRs, what other strings are most like them but have more gauge options for my 4th string tuned to C#?

Any input appreciated.

2. I used GHS bass boomers heavey gauge with a .115 E and tuned to drop C# to play with a metalcore band, the 1 practice I had stock fender string and no tension what so ever and on my home I stoped a GC and picked up the heavy guage strings and never had a problem until I had to complety reset the action but once it was dialed in it worked great.

3. naughtry

naughtry

Jan 31, 2004
    NYC / D.C.
    ive been using a DR 120 with the 50-90 from a DR LowBeam SS set and like it.

Only problem is its so exspensive, the 120 is almost $14 alone plus $25 for the rest of the strings.