Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DR Nickel Suggestions

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bass-shy, Apr 5, 2005.

1. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    So, I'm ready for a new set of strings on my Martin ALternative X ABG, and would like to stick with DRs, as I use them on all of my guitars and basses. It came stock with a set of Darco light nickels but I'm not very impressed with them. Martin suggests the use of nickel wound electric bass strings on this beast and my question for you all is: Should I go with nickel Lo-Riders or Sun-Beams? I know that the Lo-Riders have a hex core and the Sun-Beams have a round core, but are there any other differences? Which set feels better under the fingers? I won't be slapping on them so that's not an important point. I really just need a feel comparison, but tonal differences should be noted too. I know the best bet would be to try both and see for myself but I'm broke after buying the Martin. Also, you guys haven't steered me wrong yet, so I value your collective opinion(s). Thanks.

2. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    The Sun Beams are a great set and are softer on your bass than the Lo Riders. I use the Sun Beams on my fretless and love them. Warm, rich and more mellow than other DR strings but have that same strong lo-mid vibe.