1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

DR opinion

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Rush Fan, Aug 27, 2012.

1. My wife purchased a couple of DR strings for my basses. One pack of Lo-Riders and the other are the Hi-Beams.

I have a Stingray and a Geddy that I'm looking at putting them onto. Previously I've just thrown on the factory Ernie Ball and Fender strings that the basses came with but I'm curious how these will sound with the DR's on 'em.

Which set should I put on which bass? Your opinions and recommendations are well welcomed.

Thanks fellow low enders.

2. I've always had good results with LoRiders on my stingray. Also.. I've always been under the impression that Hi-Beams are a great match for jazz basses. Hope this helps.

3. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Oh wow, pick either one for your Ray and you are about to get impressed. I used Ernie Ball strings for years, once I started using other brands I never went back. You might have a different taste than I though.

The same for Fender, but I have only tried a couple Fender string sets.

4. Mike M.

Mike M.

Feb 14, 2010
    I've got DR Nickel Lo Riders on my Jazz bass. They're tight to the point of where some would call stiff but not what I would call "un-playable stiff." But I like them like that. I feel more in control with a tighter string. I also use a pick on occasion and having a stiffer string helps a lot. I also happen to think that they sound pretty good on that bass. They also have a nice feel to them. Some tweaking of the truss rod was needed because these are hex core as opposed to the round core strings that were previously on.

Never tried the Hi Beams.

5. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    HiBeams on the Geddy, LoRiders on the Ray.

6. Thank you for those who replied. It certainly helped.

Rush Fan

7. lmfreeman9

lmfreeman9 Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2007
    Arizona
    +1

8. I prefer Hi-Beams on most basses, I use the EBs on my SB14 (MM Sterling knockoff) and find them tonally similar to the Hi-Beams, so I'm happy enough. I'd love for them to break so I can go to Hi-Beams and really compare/contrast the difference.

Peace,
    Greg

9. nicopiano

nicopiano Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Levis, Quebec, Canada
    Hi beam are great strings for most bass. I would say hi-beam on jazz and low-rider on MM, or hi-beam on each.

10. I like both of those sets, but really *love* the Sunbeams, which I use on all basses.

11. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I used to love the DR coated strings, and I have a set on my SUB4, but ever since switching to the new "K2" coated strings I've gotten poor string to string balance and dead strings (2 "K2" sets so far on my SUB 5 with the same results). Shame really, the black strings look good on a white bass.

12. I'm Sunbeam all the way on my Stingray 5.