1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

DR or EB Strings on EB Bass

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by armybass, Oct 24, 2002.

1. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    I have been using DR Lo Riders on my new Music Man SR5. I liked them but it has not sounded quite the way it did when I got it new and it had EB strings on it. I just got a new SR5 fretless this week and it has EB RW strings on it and it also sounds fantastic. So to compare I put a new set of DR's on my fretted SR5 and they sound good but feel a little stiff in comparrison and kinda mufffled in the mid range.

Has any one else compared these strings on EB MM basses?

Scott

2. I have a frettet SR5 and the best strings for that is the Fat Beams I think. Tried the EB Slinky's, but they sounded muddy and didn't have the same wide frequency response as the DR's. If it was the Lo Riders you tried, you should go for Hi or Fat Beams as they are more flexible due to the round core instead of hexcore. I didn't like the Lo Riders for the same reason and for the lack of growly mids, which Fat Beams have in abundence! Mayby you could try Sunbeams for the fretless? Or Slowounds. Good strings too, but too 'dark' for me.

Cheers

3. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Thanks Carl....I think you may be right. I had the Hi Beams on my SR5 before and liked it but put the Lo Riders on the SR5 after I had them on my Sterling. I guess different strings sound different on different basses.

4. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    the ONLY Thing i like about EB strings are when you your bass acoustically... but I swear by DR Lo Riders

DM

5. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    I really like lowriders too. But the last few sets I got were very inconsistent. At least one string in the batch was dead, or at least sounded very different than the others. I just gigged with a new set of EB nickle slinkies and really liked the way they sounded, warmer and deeper than steels but still had alot of punch and growl.

6. that's why i get the nickel-plated lo-riders. i don't like stainless steel. the nickel-plated ones have fuller mids, and sound more lively IMO.