1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

DR price hike = me finding new brand

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Snarf, Mar 29, 2009.

1. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    Glen Cove, NY
    Love DRs but $40 before tax isn't cool.

I'm looking at the strings made by the boutique builders. Fodera, Smith, Pedulla. Which one of these are closest to DR Lo Riders?

Thanks

2. (b)Assman

(b)Assman

Jun 22, 2008
    Champaign, IL
    wow, I'm about to switch to DR's too.

Hrmmmm

3. Dr's are worth it to me period. The Perfect bass has good prices especially when you sign up for their emails and they send you promo codes.

4. dj150888

dj150888

Feb 25, 2008
    Belfast, Ireland
    Prices haven't gone up here (but we're already paying more than you). I won't be changing from DRs any time soon anyways.

5. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    The only over-$40 sets I'm seeing are the extra lifes. Has the price not increased yet?

6. Obese Chess

Obese Chess I'm Your New Dad Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2005
    Portland, OR
    I'm still getting my hi-beams for $30 a set after tax...

7. Kyon`

Kyon`

Aug 17, 2007
    Boston, MA
    Yeah, I think it's just were you're buying them man. I just picked up a few fatbeams for $29 with tax each.

8. 4stringrob

4stringrob

Jul 16, 2008
    Detroit, MI
    yeah, I'd ask some questions where you're buying them from. Don't tell DR but I don't see myself switching from Lo Rider stainless any time soon, even if they raised their prices. But here's a great online place to buy strings from, consider comparing what you're paying to their price+shipping.

http://www.juststrings.com/drstringselectricbassguitar.html

9. BillytheBassist

BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    Texas
    I'm still payin up man......they are worth it to me.

10. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    Six four string sets of Hi-Beams and Fat Beams consistently sell for about $120 buy-it-now on eBay. Use the live.com 14% discount with Paypal, you're looking at well under $20 a set shipped to your door.

Nickel Lo-Riders are my favorites, but I wouldn't pay $40 a set, either.

11. D Rokk

D Rokk Banned

Feb 19, 2009
    Delta Quadrant
    22.99 a set here.. i remember paying 45 for a set of blue steels for my five string.. only time i ever changed those strings

12. Brick Top

Brick Top

Dec 7, 2008
    Michigan
  13. moles

moles

Jan 24, 2007
    Winnipeg, MB
    I remember something funny happening up here with DR's a few years ago. They were already relatively expensive (I think about $45CAD before taxes for a 4 set) I figured it was worth it (loved the sound) but just barely (hated the way they went from sounding good to completely utterly dead in the space of two days).

Anyway, all the stores in town started dropping them - and when I asked one of the sales guys I know a bit, he told me that the wholesaler that was supplying this part of the country jacked the prices up. The price hike (as I understood it, purely from the wholesale supplier) was such that the music stores would basically be paying what they were already retailing a set for.

So, $45 bucks wholesale, plus store markup....no thanks. Started using Firewires, then those cheap Rotosounds.

Whatever happened obviously straightened out awhile ago now, because I bought a set of hi-beams for $30 a few months ago. I told my story to the guy at the register and he had no idea they'd ever gotten that pricey.

They sounded great, just like I remembered. Lasted for a couple of months.

And then they went from great to dead in two days........

14. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US

Those strings are actually made by GHS, Daddario, or La Bella. Why not just go to the source?

15. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    Glen Cove, NY
    Should have mentioned, I'm buying 5 string sets, at Guitar Center.

I wouldn't save any money ordering online because of shipping. Bummer that crap companies make the boutiques. Guess I'll have to shell out then.

16. D Rokk

D Rokk Banned

Feb 19, 2009
    Delta Quadrant
    guitar center is ur problem.. 36.99 at the local gui**** center. and like i said 22.99 at REAL guitar stores

17. wingnut

wingnut

Apr 18, 2007
    Las Vegas Nv.
    Two for one here in vegas at 27.99 for a four string pack.

18. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY

I disagree. Go to www.theperfectbass.com, find the set of strings you want, add them to your cart, and put "talkbass" in the promo code box for 15% off.

19. Brick Top

Brick Top

Dec 7, 2008
    Michigan
    Well I live on a cow path in the north...and online shopping is all I have access to. It works for people like me that want to have some variety for shopping besides Walfart.

Cheers,
    BT

20. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC Music. Warwick U.S. distribution, Ampeg distribution
    Like others have posted, I think you can get a better price.

I try not to be dogmatic about gear.....what is best and such. Having said that, I feel DR makes the finest bass strings available...period.

I've visited their operation too....a couple of times. They can easily be considered a "boutique" brand. Mark's care in development and his team's care in constructing the best string available, keeps me a loyal customer.