DR Pure Blues vs Dunlop NW vs Dunlop Super Bright NW

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Ögon, Jul 27, 2020.

1. Ögon

Ögon

Jan 15, 2020
    Netherlands
    Anyone has experience using this strings and want to share thoughts on them?
    • DR Pure Blues
    • Dunlop Nickel wound
    • Dunlop SuperBright Nickel wound
    Feel / sound / low, mids, trebles?

2. fermata

fermata

Nov 10, 2015
    I've used both the standard Dunlop Nickel wounds and the Dunlop Super Bright Nickels (but not the Pure Blues):

The standard nickel wound set is a pretty typical set of rounds in terms of feel and sound, leaning a bit toward the darker end of the average nickel plated steel spectrum. They break in quickly and hold that tone, which I consider a plus; if you want long-lasting zing, you won't.

On the other hand, Super Brights are unique. The hex core is very small, which makes these feel more supple, like round core strings. The tone is also unlike most other nickel plated steel strings. The Super Bright name is a bit misleading: these strings aren't all about the highs, rather, they're what I'd call 'full-spectrum;' they have a remarkable degree of clarity and balance, all the way from the low lows through the mids to the highs without placing a particular emphasis on any frequency. As a plus, they also age very gracefully.

miljoneir, B String, 59jazz and 4 others like this.
  3. I remember a thread from a while ago, where the OP suggested Dunlop "Super Bright" should really be called "Super Crunchy". ;)

59jazz likes this.
  4. uwrossl

uwrossl

Nov 13, 2009
    Huntington Beach
    I really liked how the regular Dunlop Nickels settled in quickly on my P and I'd say were a little less growly than the Super Brights. The nickel Super Brights have been my long time go to round for my J after previously using Sunbeams and the Fodera Nickels.

The DR Pure Blues are probably still my favorite round for my P as of late. They've got a nice tension to them and just sound good on my Moollon. The TI Jazz Rounds sound incredible on it as well but has yet to be seen if I'll be able to handle the ultra low tension when playing with a band and makes me think the Pure Blues will stick. Really IMO you are looking at three great sets of strings and it'll come down to what you like feel wise and what bass you are putting them on as well as the sound you are going for.

tindrum, PBandJazzBass and Ögon like this.
  5. Ögon

Ögon

Jan 15, 2020
    Netherlands
    Thanks for your replies. I appriciate it.

I have just one bass, a precision bass, the one in my picture. :)

Somewhere this week im going on a holiday, afrer that i want to put on some strings i like, and compare 3 p pickups by swapping (vmod, fender pure vintage 63 and rebelrelic p) and playing, listening.

I recently tried exlir nickel, stainless and acoustic.. they are just a bit too slick, i overslide my fretting fingers when using them, not enough control. Really easy to bend though, thats nice. The roto 66 sound alright, but the feel is terribly rough, although it does give a controlled feel, no chance of oversliding... haha

So you prefer the Pure Blues over the Super Brights? Can you give me some view on that? Which growls more? Feel?

Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
  6. BassinCT

BassinCT

Jun 17, 2006
    Connecticut
    The Dunlop SB nickel and Pure Blues are two of my favorite string sets. My P5 (I built from parts) has worn both sets. Here are my observations:
    They have a similar surface feel that I would describe as “medium”- neither rough or ultra smooth.

The feel under the plucking fingers is different, and this translates into a noticeable difference in tone and attack when playing with a heavier touch. The SB’s are softer-feeling and deliver more upper-midrange when pulled or picked harder. The Pure Blues set gives me more low end punch at the attack of the note instead. Interesting to note that the Dunlop has a thinner hex core, compared to DR’s slightly thicker round core.

The Dunlop’s have a bit more of the growly mids when you want it. However, if you prefer to play with a firmer attack, you may need to spend some time with them to adjust the technique (and maybe the bass setup) to get the most out of them.

tindrum likes this.
  7. Ögon

Ögon

Jan 15, 2020
    Netherlands
    Interesting. :)

Summarized:
    • The dunlops growl under heavy touch.
    • The Pure Blues give punch from the start? Is punch the same as growl to you? (just checking)
    How are the Pure Blues with heavy touch? Do they just give more volume of whats already there with normal touch?

8. BassinCT

BassinCT

Jun 17, 2006
    Connecticut
    • The dunlops growl under heavy touch.
    Yes!
    • The Pure Blues give punch from the start? Is punch the same as growl to you? (just checking)
    The start of the note with Pure Blues has more punch-with more lower frequency content at the start; “growl” to me is when midrange frequencies are more present throughout the duration of the note. The Dunlops have more of that growly midrange quality when you want it.

Ögon and uwrossl like this.
  9. uwrossl

uwrossl

Nov 13, 2009
    Huntington Beach
    I prefer the Pure Blues on my P. Super Brights on my J. Moollon P is already super growly and I don't need more of that. J on the other hand I want it to growl and come alive and that's why I like the SB's on it.

The Pure Blues has punchy attack slightly akin to flats which is what I typically run on the Moollon and they are smoother through the mids than SB's.

This sums it up well. It will kind of depend which PUP you end up with in your P. But if you want something smoother in the mids with more punch on the attack Pure Blues...if you need to wake your bass up a bit and need more growl/bite the SB's are excellent. I find both sets to be smooth and easy to play. Coming from flats neither chew up my fingers at all. The SB's are noticeably lower tension.

BassinCT likes this.
  10. xnewyorka

xnewyorka Owner, John Fox Bass Inactive Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 26, 2006
    NYC Area
    Dealer for Adamovic, Alleva-Coppolo, Bergantino, Dingwall, Richter, Skjold
    I recently saw the video linked below showing Henrik Linder of Dirty Loops talking about Pure Blues as his preferred string. Since I happen to play the exact same bass as his and I am a huge fan of his tone, I had to get a set to try them out. I will be installing them this week, so I will report back with my thoughts after I try them myself.

My Kiesel Brian Bromberg Signature jazz bass came with the Dunlop Nickels on it. They are still on it, and still feel and sound as awesome as they did when the bass was new 1.5 years ago. Very smooth and comfortable feel, and light tension. (They are Medium Lights.) I am able to play complex fingerstyle stuff of that bass that I cannot do as well on most other basses, such as what is shown in the video link below, and I mostly attribute that to the strings.

I recently picked up a set of StringJoy bass strings after finding their guitar strings to be awesome on a Stratocaster. I put them on a Skjold Slayer, and sure enough, the bass strings are fantastic too. If you are looking into these 3 string types, you may want to try StringJoy as well. They have similar characteristics. No video yet, but I should make one.

Dunlop Nickels:

DR Pure Blues:

Last edited: Jul 28, 2020
  11. nilorius

nilorius Inactive

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    Dunlop NW

12. I like the Pure Blues on my Mike Dirnt P Bass and also liked them on my J before I sold it. They're bright without sounding harsh, if that makes sense.

13. Yes it does... Warm but with some crispness up top without being zingy.

PBandJazzBass likes this.
  14. Ögon

Ögon

Jan 15, 2020
    Netherlands
    thanks guys. My conclusion from the replies and youtube vids: the pure blues would fit the generic fingerstyle role more then the super bright.. I bought the dr pure blues and will check them out when i have time. (After holiday) :)

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021