Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DR question

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by basicallybass, Sep 16, 2004.

1. Can someone please enlighten me as to the difference between DR's "Fat Beams" and "Hi Beams". The site is vague regarding what the Fat Beams really are...

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

OH baby!!! You're talking to the DR fan here.

I used to have a review of the Fat Beams, ("Marcus") strings in the TB reviews but it was wiped out as the site was updated.

Anywho;

- Realize that DR is only one of about 3 bass string manufacturers on the planet who make their own strings.

- Hi Beams are great for hard rock or where you want treble so incredible you'll have to wear sunglasses to withstand the brightness.

- Fat Beams, (aka, "Marcus") , which I love, have a very good amount of brightness but they also offer a great deal of mids that allow you to cut through in the mix, and a nice, fat-ass, bottom.

FWIW - I switch between stainless steel Lo-Riders and Fat Beams. Each one has the big boootie I need.

The Hi Beams are terrific, but too "edgy" for what I do.

3. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    I notice you play a lot of basses according to your profile. I like the Highbeams on shortscale or passive basses. I go Lowriders for longscale basses or active basses. I do like both kinds on my short scale Spector w/ Emgs. It depends on what bass, like your Fender I say highbeams, for the Lakeland I would go lowriders.

Just my opinion I never liked the twangy fatbeams?? Lowriders are low and growly, highbeams are growly and cut, fatbeams seem twangy? That's just my thoughts on it.

4. tappel

tappel

May 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    The materials used are the same; stainless steel over round core. The difference is in the winding process.

Tom

5. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    I just put Hi Beams on my SRX. Yes, They are very bright / Trebly. Not what I was looking for.

I will be trying those Fat Beams now, those sound like what I want.

6. And the difference would be?
    And here we have in this corner...

I thought the Hex was the "Low Rider".

I too use the different type strings for different instruments. - But my reason is generally for 'feel'. Low Riders for a fretless jazz (a little tighter) and the Hi Beam for the P's for a little rubbery-er feel. As for the brightness of one over the other...I have a preconceived notion about what I want to hear when I plug in...and it seems I always make some little tweek on the preamp due to room depth or whatever. So I get pretty close to the same tone, regardless. I just was able to get a deal on a number of sets of Fat Beams and wondered the difference... - More opinions, please.

7. rsautrey

rsautrey Banned

Jul 27, 2000
    Tony at DR tells me that the difference between Hi-Beams and Fat-Beams is the speed at which they are wound. The Fat-Beams are wound slower (the speed of the lathe that spins the core) which increases the midrange characteristics of the string. They are both round core strings which usually make for a brighter and clearer treble response. My personal favorite DR string is the stainless steel Lo-Riders. These are hex core which offer a more traditional feel but the sound is exactly what I like in a stainless steel roundwound. Crisp and articulate top end and a powerful low end. These strings actually remind me of what Rotosound Swing Bass strings used to be like. Bottom end power and sustain with a stainless steel top end. The other nice thing about DR strings is the size of the wrap wire used. Compare a DR stainless steel string to a Rotosound Swing Bass or a Dean Markley SR2000 and you will see that the size of the wrap wire is smaller, which to me makes for a better overall feel. You can't go wrong with any of the DR types....it just depends on your specific needs.