1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

DR Question

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Craig_S, Mar 30, 2009.

1. Nickel Low Riders

11 vote(s)
    52.4%
  2. Sunbeams

10 vote(s)
    47.6%
  1. Craig_S

Craig_S Banned

Oct 15, 2008
    Metro Detroit
    I want to try a new set of strings. DR nickel Low Riders or Sunbeams? I like a smooth feel.

2. The surface of these strings is more or less identical. The difference is the core, and thus the tension (lo-riders are hex core and higher tension)

3. Craig_S

Craig_S Banned

Oct 15, 2008
    Metro Detroit
    Ahhh... I see. I'm a D'Addario user. The hex core Low Riders will surely feel more "at home" to me. What about the sound. Have you compared them? Which do you like best?

4. Basically if you like a stiffer string, go with the Lo-Riders. Slinky string - Sunbeams.

5. the overall tone is pretty similar but you can hear the extra "snap" of the lo-riders a bit

6. I've tried the Lo-Riders because a lot of people here recommended them. I didn't like the tone AT ALL. Very dull and lifeless sounding to me. The Sunbeams were a lot better.

7. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC Music. Warwick U.S. distribution, Ampeg distribution
    ...agreed...."texture" feels the same. They are both nice and smooth feeling.

Lo Riders are stiffer....Sunbeams are more flexible. I like Sunbeams.

8. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Keep in mind that Lo-Riders come in stainless and nickel wound versions. I'm using the stainless on my G&L L-1500, and find them pretty smooth to the touch, but I'm sure the nickels are smoother. And even the Lo-Riders are lower tension than many strings, such as the GHS Boomers and Fenders I frequently use.

9. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    I like SS Low Riders and I like Sunbeams but for some reason I didn't like the Nickel Low Riders.

SS Low Riders are bright and aggressive with some definite growl. The Sunbeams are smooth and warm.

The nickel Low Riders seemed like a bad middle ground between the two.

Just my $0.02

10. I have SS low Riders and I love 'em! Been using them for a while now. I'm not sure what else I'd try at the moment.

11. +1

I've got nickle Lo-Riders on a five string for the tension in the B string, but Sunbeams on a fretless four string for slink.