1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Dr. Scholl's Custom Fit orthotic inserts

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by stratovani, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Anyone here try these? I'm on my feet all day at work, and these look interesting, but are they worth the $50?

2. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    They seem to have so many choices and have no guarantees if they will work for you. I say try them.

3. I don't trust Dr. Scholl.

4. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Is that because he's been dead for 45 years and the current incarnation is not really a Dr., or a human, but rather a brand-name?

5. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    "Dr. Scholl makes foot products. Right? And he's a doctor...which means he went to school for a long time, but it doesn't take a lot to figure out that stepping on a cushion will be more comfortable. That ****** wasted lots of time at school cause I would've bought that **** from a Mr. Scholl. Maybe even a Señor Scholl."

-Mitch Hebderg-

6. Mitch is awesome.

lowsound

7. bassinplace

bassinplace

Dec 1, 2008
    Are those the gel inserts? I always wondered how those could possibly work. Wouldn't they make your shoes too tight?

8. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    generally you remove the inner sole from your shoe first
    I have not had success with over the counter orthotics,,,but I do have special needs

9. I have owned 2 pairs. They're half-sole inserts, not full sole, so you don't remove the insole from your shoes. You just loosen the shoe to fit comfortably with them in, and then re-tighten the laces. If you're moving around all day, they're fine and work well. If you have the same problem I do (all weight centers directly on heel, no arch, and get stuck standing in one place for hours on end- ex.: cashier) you will end up compressing the insert rather quickly so they won't last long. Great at first, but again, if you stand in one spot all day and have all pressure going to one spot of the foot, they're not going to last all that long. But if you do move around constantly, they will most certainly work well and should last a bit longer than the scenario I mentioned above.

10. placedesjardins

placedesjardins

May 7, 2012
    I saw them at Wal*Mart but the price tag seemed kind of high. The "foot scanning, weight distribution thingy was weird". How did it know which insert was really the right one for me?

11. I'm not sold on gel insert types, just seems that you lose some stability. If you have to pick it yourself, I'd say give it a miss.

I've got quite bad pronation and had an appointment with a podiatrist who molded my feet and measured up what I needed to correct the roll. The resulting inserts are great!

After spending a couple years trying off the shelf inserts, I wouldn't use them again. Fully custom jobs are the way to go if you need any sort of correction IMO. I've had mine for at least 5 years now, worn daily, and they are still in great condition.

However, if it's just for being on your feet all day, that may overkill. Have you/can you try footwear with a softer sole? Have you had your feet checked out as even a slight issue can be quite painful with long days on your feet.

12. Dominic DeCosa

Dominic DeCosa Habitual Line-Stepper Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 9, 2008
    Vero Beach, Florida
    DiCosimo Audio
    The problem with the Dr. Scholl's is they don't hold their shape after awhile of wearing them. I highly recommend Powerstep Pinnacle inserts. I've had the same one for over a year and it still holds its shape. It's also cheaper at around $30.

13. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Too bad there's no inserts that would relieve my plantar fasciitis. It's simply unbearable at times, like my achilles tendon is going to snap at any moment up the back of my leg.

14. Wil_Couch

Wil_Couch

Mar 12, 2013
    Have you tried a Strassburg Sock? I've never dealt with PF, but hear they work wonders.

15. Wil_Couch

Wil_Couch

Mar 12, 2013
    I would stay away from gel inserts. They don't hold their form, and, despite what you may think, they don't provide a ton of comfort. Gel inserts don't provide a stable enough platform for you feet/body, something that you really need if you're on your feet all day.

Try going to a running store, or someplace like The Good Feet Store. The staff will be trained in diagnosing and suggesting the correct insert for you. Superfeet inserts are a great first place to look. About the same price as the gels you are looking at but MUCH better, and will last longer too.

16. Unprofessional

Unprofessional

Mar 5, 2012
    Yeah, the wife finally had to go under the knife to get some meaningful relief.

17. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I have terrible feet. Awful. 24 years of combat boots, and a major spine problem contribute to terrible, terrible feet and back pain. I used the foot scanning kiosk at WalMart after deciding that The Good Feet Store's $1300 plastic inserts were a bit much to jump into.

Combined with shoes that really work with your feet (in my case, Dr. Martens), I have found them to be the best solution I've found to date. I don't wear anything without them.

18. temmrich

temmrich

Jan 29, 2012
    Dayton, Ohio
    The custom insert for PF is extremely rigid and keeps the foot from splaying and the arch from shifting under the weight of the body. For many surgery is the only real option, but for some, a custom molded insert can result in some relief. It's worth looking into the orthotics before opting for the surgery.

19. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Wow, thanks to all of you for the insight, and options to explore, much appreciated!!! I will look into the Strassburg Sock, and inserts as mentioned. Surgery is a scary option, but not off the table, obviously. I'm usually freezing a bottle of water and the rolling it under my heel until it melts to get relief at the end of the workday...helps, but the next morning going into the day? My God! And forget taking hikes, lately.

20. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Endorsement enough for me... I'm gonna get a pair for my new boots.