1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dr string gauge and tension

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Pitsaras, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Pitsaras

Pitsaras

Dec 26, 2011
    i have a 33 1/4 scale bass in standard d tuning wearing dr lo riders 45-105 (hex core i believe). I get a little fret buzz and want my strings a little less floppy. so the question is. Dr lo-riders 45-105 or Dr hi-beams (round core less tension) 50-110??

2. hotbass57

hotbass57

Nov 27, 2011
    Fairfield,Ohio
    I would think the tension would be about the same. Adjust your neck or raise your saddles a hair.

3. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Lo-Riders are actually rather stiff strings, so I doubt the problem is that your strings are "too floppy". Adjust your setup already!

(I have never heard of "standard" D tuning. Standard tuning is EADG.)

MM

4. GK Growl

GK Growl Banned

Dec 31, 2011
    "Standard" D tuning is the entire bass down one whole step. To the OP, if you like the Lo Rider sound and feel, try the Lo Riders in 110-50. IMO, the Lo Riders are not as stiff as some people would like you to believe, especially compared to other stainless steel rounds like Rotosound Swing Bass 66 or D'Addario Prosteels.

5. Pitsaras

Pitsaras

Dec 26, 2011
    if it makes any difference i found out i bought the wrong set and i got the purple (nickel) lo riders. according to the dr site they have a smoother feel and they are "An excellent string for fretless basses…
    ”Lo-Riders Love to FUNK”
    so do i switch to the stainless steel lo riders or should i go for the 50s?
    http://www.drstrings.com/#!bass/cnk7

6. Pitsaras

Pitsaras

Dec 26, 2011
    so right now i have the fretless ones on my bass, will the switch to the grey lo riders do the trick ?

7. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    Maryland, USA
    Given the same gauge, Lo-Riders are noticeably stiffer than Hi-Beams. I've used both extensively over the past 5 years, so trust me.

8. Pitsaras

Pitsaras

Dec 26, 2011
    yes but which lo-riders? i found out there are two types of them!
    i'm confused? i am having a problem because i have the nickel ones?

check the dr site link http://www.drstrings.com/#!bass/cnk7