1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dr strings and headless basses?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by lyle, Nov 11, 2006.

1. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    I'm interested in trying some DR strings out but I've heard that since their higher tension they can through out necks on headless basses. Any one have any expierience with this happening.

Also my bass is a kubicki so the neck isn't just a couple lams, its 34.

2. rsautrey

rsautrey Inactive

Jul 27, 2000
    Higher tension?? I don't know anything about headless basses but I do know that DR strings are lower tension than most other brands. Especially if you use the round core DR strings (Fat Beams, Hi Beams, Sunbeams). A round core string has less tension than a hex core string of the similar gauge. To me, even the DR Lo-Riders (hex core) are still lower tensioned than most other brands.

3. Try them, you have nothing to lose, I own 3 headless basses and have DR Ultra-Lifes on all 3. Not an issue other than good tone. :)
    And why do you think an extra few inches of headstock would make a bass handle them better? Logically it would be the opposite effect I would think.
    Good luck,
    Dirk

4. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    thats what i thought, my boss (i work at a music shoppe) keeps telling me different, that Dr strings are higher tension and have more material per string than other strings, wound under tension and stuff. I dunno what he's talkin about but ill give it a try.

thanks alot guys

5. I have a headless 6 string, I use DR 125-45 and have no problems at all. I use DR strings because of their low tension.