1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

DR strings and low fret wear -- is it true?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Mastermold, Sep 10, 2008.

1. DR claims their strings don't eat frets. I've only recently started using them (Hi-Beams) and am wondering what your experience has been with this particular claim.

2. So no one has an opinion on this?

3. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    All strings eat frets. Some are just worse than others.

4. Right, but DR claims their strings are easier on frets. I'm asking whether those who use them find that to be true.

5. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    Hmm...how long would one have to use DR strings in order to obtain a noticeable difference in fret wear? And wouldn't one also have to have a bass with similar frets, different strings and approximately equal usage in order to compare? Also, one would have to start with two new (or equally-worn) basses in order to have a well-designed test.

That being said, it makes sense that since DR strings generally have lower tension compared to the same gauge strings from other manufacturers, the overall pressure on the fret just ahead of your finger would indeed be less when using DR strings. Assuming you fret with equal finger pressure regardless of how much tension is in the strings you happen to be using, of course.

So, yeah, it seems like a reasonable claim. I have only been using DR strings for about 4 years, and I don't have any basses with other strings, equal use, etc. to compare. I have no measurable data that DR strings reduce fret wear by 50%, 5%, 0.5%, not at all, or if they are indeed worse.

But it seems like a reasonable claim.

6. Audiophage

Audiophage

Jan 9, 2005
    I believe Marcus Miller is quoted to say that thing about eating frets.

I don't know about that, but I wouldn't necessarily use it to influence my string purchasing.

7. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Still Playing After All These Years Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2008
    Hillsdale, Portland
    The zing just came off my Hi-Beams after 4 weeks of practicing, half a dozen gigs including two marathon days (2 gigs a day). They aren't dead but they definitely are not as bright as they were. Can't speak to fret burn, but I love these strings.

Was just looking them up @justrings, thinking about replacing them which is unusual for me.