1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

DR strings breaking... Help with solution?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by __HM__, Aug 8, 2012.

1. __HM__

__HM__

Aug 28, 2008
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    A while back, I made this thread about my low strings from my DR HiBeam sets breaking:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f16/dr-hi-beams-e-breaks-876543/

My solution is to put somekind of plate/thick washer on the back of the bridge (where the strings go through) to essentially "shorten" the strings, so that the fat part doesnt touch the tuning peg. I only need this to be done on the E and A strings. I'm no metal worker, I cant really make a special plate for it or anything. I just need somekind of washer, or something along those lines. I only really have basic hand tools, a Dremel hand router, and a power drill at my disposal...

Any ideas? :confused:

Thanks all! :)

2. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Just go poke around in the pieces parts drawers at Home Depot or the like. They have column-type spacers (several sizes) which may work.

Or find a different brand of string that fits your particular bass. I've had good luck with the Sadowskys.

Riis

3. __HM__

__HM__

Aug 28, 2008
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I'll swing by Sears Hardware today and see what's up.. Thanks for the suggestion!