1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

DR strings inconsistent?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by t77mackie, Jul 18, 2012.

1. t77mackie

t77mackie

Jun 13, 2012
    Wormtown, MA
    My guitar player buddy settled on DR strings a while back and so bought a 5 set pack. He changed his strings on 2 guitars and said the intonation and whammy bar got completely screwed up with the new strings. They were the exact same sets / gauges as were previously on the axes.

When he mentioned DR strings to his tech one time the tech was like, "ahhhh, really? DR? They're kinda flaky..."

Has anyone noticed inconsistency in DR strings? I used to use them (on bass, obv.) and always had decent luck with them. I'm thinking the handmade aspect might have something to do with his problems.

-thanx

2. gt96g

gt96g Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Philly Area
    I've used DRs for a long time without issue, I've been debating giving rotosounds a try at some point as they seen highly recommended but I am generally happy with my high beams. my assumption is your friend was restringing a guitar based on the whammy bar comment. My guess is his trem system had more to do with the intonation issues than the strings. But who knows? maybe their guitar stings are inferior to their bass

3. Lou-bass

Lou-bass

Oct 21, 2010
    I have had some weirdness on a few DR string. All in all I like them very much. DR is very good about replacing bad strings. On bass, be sure to bend the strings at a 90 degree angle before inserting them into the peghead.

4. Billy K

Billy K

Nov 5, 2009
    North Bay Marin
    I too have been very happy with DR strings I have them on all 7 of my bass guitars.I loved the colored strings BUT the frets chew the color off in 2 months time and then they look like .... ! So I got lowbeams nickle on them now. I think I'd like to try the Highbeams or the Marcus next.

5. Rodger Bryan

Rodger Bryan Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Connecticut
    Anytime I change string brands, I expect that the intonation will have to be re- set even if the gauges are identical. I am not surprised and do not attribute need to re-intonate to any defect. If the tech could not intonate the string at all, that is a different story.

I have set up many different basses with D'Addario XL's , LaBella Super Steps, DR Hi Beams, Sunbeams, boomers,etc. They all work fine if you know what to expect. DR round cores require a little extra care when winding, otherwise I'm confused about all of the kvetching tech stories. Maybe they don't read the directions on the package.

The only string that was difficult to intonate was when I put exposed-core super steps on My modulus.

6. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I noticed you used the term 'whammy bar'. You know you have to adjust the tremolo springs every time you change string brand/types, right? DR's generally have lower tension so it's normal for a floating trem to change position when you change to a different tension string. Same thing will happen if you use a lighter gauge string, even if it's from the same manufacturer.

This is a non issue on fixed bridges or basses.

7. Geroi Asfalta

Geroi Asfalta

Aug 23, 2011
    I've had very few problems with DR bass strings (I've found two dead strings, one was K3, so I half expected it....), but I don't really care for their guitar strings. Kinda funky, not in the good funk either

8. I've had a couple issues with their strings. I'm not buying Black Beauties anymore because 3 of the last 5 packs I purchased had dead G strings. All the other strings sounded great, but the G was significantly more dull then the rest. Each set was on a different bass so I know it wasn't my bass.

The only other problem I have with them is that they never seem to fit my bass. The scale is always too long for my basses. Especially the low Bs. The B on my five or six always has the full wrap meeting at the tuning peg. I have broken some Bs before trying to tune them to fast. I'm using an Ibanez 5 and Carvin 6.

I don't know if its just me and I can't find a shorter scale length, but you'd think they would make 5+ string sets in 34'' scale. Maybe I just couldn't find the option of scale length when I ordered (bassstringsonline.com)

Even with those problems I still use DR over all the other brands out there. Their uncoated strings sound AMAZING and seem to sound great for ever.

9. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    Well, of course the intonation / floating bridge will change when you switch strings...

If he went from your off the shelf 10's w/ hex core to DR Tite-Fits 10's w/ a round core there are going to be some changes that need to be made. Also with any round core string need to make sure they are properly cut so the windings don't come free of the core.

DR just has one Long Scale B string (37.75-38"). They should work on most 34" basses but depending on the configuration they may not. If you ever have an issue with a DR string let me know and I will get you sorted out.

10. t77mackie

t77mackie

Jun 13, 2012
    Wormtown, MA
    Thanx for the comments, everyone.

To clear up a few things:

1. My buddy is a pro. He knows guitars / springs / etc. Whammy bar should not cause too much trouble. Plus I believe one of the guitars in question did not have a bar - straight bridge.

2. He was using the exact same style / brand / gauge / everything that was previously on the guitar.

3. This problem is unique to DR. He never had this type of problem with any other strings before or since.

The comment about following specific instructions and paying special care needs to be looked into with more depth....

Another thing to consider is we're talking about guitar players here! :bag:

IDK - my buddy isn't into messing with his setup all that much. Me, I adjust my truss rod just about every day.

I'm not knocking DR strings. I like 'em. Back in the day I used Rotosound but they were over $40 a pop back then so I switched to the Lowrider / beam thingys DR makes and liked them just fine.

11. Thanks SLaPiNFuNK for the respose. I think maybe my basses are shorter scale then I thought. I woulda thought a Ibanez SRX505 and Carvin LB76 would be able to handle it, but the string always gets the full wind on the peg.

12. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    Depending on the tuning post, its sometimes alright for the full winding to be on the peg (this will depend on the specific string and the amount of flexibility the string has in it).

You know the string doesn't work when it breaks!

But again, if you do come up with the issue of the string breaking, let me know!

13. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

First off, you adjust your truss rod every day? What is wrong with your bass? I live in one of the most extreme climates on the planet, we go from -50c to +40c here, I adjust my truss twice a year maybe, and occasionally with string changes.

Is your guitar player wrapping his strings correctly? It seems simple, but I have known guy who would consider themselves "pro" who have played for decades, who still wrap their strings wrong around the tuning pegs, and wonder why they slip.

His whammy/floating bridge would definitely affect this type of thing no matter what he wants to think or tell you, unless he has a floyd rose where he trims the strings to length.

I have never had an issue with getting DR's onto my Carvin 34" 6 string. I also will agree that is does sound like DR is having more bad strings lately. I just assume they are producing more strings so QC is harder to maintain, it is like toyota now vs 15 years ago. I know they are still my string of choice.

14. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    DR's are the only strings I know of with peeps having issues with either dead out of box, or break on install, on somewhat regular basis from posts on this forum. Ive had dead out of box strings by them myself when I was using them.

15. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    Yea, DR has put out some duds but they always seem to make it right. Which speaks volumes.

16. t77mackie

t77mackie

Jun 13, 2012
    Wormtown, MA
    OK, that statement may be a bit of an exaggeration. When I first got my new bass - recently - I adjusted it every day until it finally settled down. Then I replaced the factory strings - repeat. But, yeah, it's settled down and now I don't break out the wrench unless I'm really bored and I want to see just how low I can get it...

As far as the other stuff, IDK... It's a mystery....

Thanx!

17. .BumeStik.

.BumeStik.

Jul 15, 2012
    Gilbert, AZ
    Anyone try the DR DDT's yet?

18. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Very consistent string. Love!

19. MatrikzDaClown

MatrikzDaClown

Jul 18, 2012
    Tried them out last week, and (yes, I know, rookie mistake):rollno: didn't expect the difference in tension. I have a 5 string SDGR SR-405 and usually run a 125 in Hi-Beams on the B. So i decided to stick with same gauge. Got the strings, put them on, and my action went from excellent to around 3/4-1" off the fretboard. I honestly don't know how to adjust my bass, and I haven't had the funds to take it in yet to get it adjusted, so I bought some Hi-Beams and put those back on and it fixed itself.

The other downfall is that when I was taking off the DDT low B string, it snapped at the core, which is another common problem in that specific string, IF, your bass isn't set for them.