Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DR Strings on my Stingray

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by BassMan2000, May 18, 2001.

1. BassMan2000

BassMan2000

Sep 27, 2000
    Canada
    Hi guys I'm usually find myself useing high beams 4 string DR's, I was wondering cause I'm kinda board with the same sound wut else could I check out that would be better in Dr strings such as Sunbeams ? Lowriders?

2. Lowriders would be a better choice. they have a bit more bottom and nice highs. Great match for the ernie ball.

3. I was using Hi-Beams, 2days ago I switched to DR "Marcus" strings. Even better than Hi-Beams. I'm yet to use them in a gig, but I like the sound even better than the Hi-Beams. They are similar to the Hi-Beams, but the sound is richer in my opinion. Better high end, deeper low end. Accented mid range. I like them. The only thing I don't like is the cost. They were expensive.

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Disco Gee and me are in the same boat. I've got my first set of "Marcus" in February and that's all I use now.

As Disco said, they are richer. They have more mids than Hi Beams and I like them better than Lo Riders for slapping and popping.

5. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    How are the mids compared to the Lo Riders? Are the lows still as pronounced?

What does the string feel like compared to the Lo Riders? as rough? not as rough?

What's the core like in the Fat Beams, is that a round core? I'm thinking they will be a little less stiff than the Lo Riders then?

6. rickbass

- Mids are better, IMO. I think that's what Miller noted about them, too. The lows are still full and big.

- A bit rougher, IMO (you can check out my review on the front page of TalkBass).

- I asked DR the same. Round core. They have a lot of give without being floppy. At least on my 34" scale.

Once the "zing" of a new set is worn off, they show the mellow mids better.

7. rsautrey

rsautrey Banned

Jul 27, 2000
    seamus, I E-mailed DR and asked what is the real difference between Hi Beams and Fat Beams. Here's the shocker, all wrap material and core wire is the same (roundcore), the difference is the speed of the lathe is slowed down. Kinda makes ya wonder, doesn't it? Don't get me wrong, I like DR strings (Lo Riders and Hi Beams) but it sounds strange that is the only difference. I still would like to try some. rickbass1 did an awesome review of Fat Beams. Click "reviews" on the homepage to find it. He put them closer to Lo Riders in terms of feel.

8. rsautrey

rsautrey Banned

Jul 27, 2000
    Sorry rickbass1, wasn't trying to horn in on ya!! You beat me to the post.

9. rickbass

Not at all rs. I found what you had to say about your response from DR very interesting. I'm sure others will, too.

This string stuff is just like pickups --- VOODOO!!!

10. gbenner

gbenner

May 20, 2001
    ocean, new jersey
    ive been using sunbeams, there nickel, i play a lot
    of blues and classic rock.im interested in the low riders, but whats the difference between the nickel and the stainless steel.

11. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    Thanks for all the feedback guys! :)

12. I have been experimenting with DR Strings for a few months now and I am impressed with the lot of them. I have not yet tried the Fat Beams, but I will when I need to change again.

I put a set of DR High Beams on my '62 Jazz RI today and am loving them. I am not a big fan of the Stainless Steel feel, but these are not too rough and have great zing for slapping and sliding. This bass normally carries DR Sunbeams which I am very fond of for funkin out, but I think she is going to be a High Beamer for a while. I dig them.

I have a set of DR Nickel LoRiders on my '74 P-Bass that I have been digging into for about a month as my main instrument and they still sound new with nice definition. Cleaning them weekly seems to be the key.

To address your question, I believe that the nickel-plating spares you the finger noise and a little top end zing. IMO that would do the trick for Blues and Bluesy Rock.

13. rickbass

gb - Soundwise, nickels aren't as bright, edgy, and biting as stainless, in general. However, those characteristics tend to wear off stainless after they get some miles on them, and players who demands those qualities spend a bit of money replacing them. For instance, Entwistle has a fresh set of stainless Rotosounds put on for each gig.

Nickel, while certainly not dull in comparison, don't have the edge, rawness and metallic bite of stainless. However, the characteristics they do exhibit tend to stay with them longer and require changing less often for most players I know of. In addition, nickels are easier on the fingers and on the frets, whereas stainless tend to be rougher and chew up frets over the years.

Considering the styles of music you play, your Sunbeams are a good choice, IMO. Lo Riders would probably please you, too.

14. gbenner

gbenner

May 20, 2001
    ocean, new jersey
    thanks for the input, i think i might try the low riders, hey its only money.