DR Strings Problem - Help Needed Please !

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by j-bass, Aug 21, 2004.

1. j-bass

Feb 5, 2004
    Hey guys bit of a problem here would apreciate some quick help

string up some DR Fat-Beams on my Marcus Miller Jazz Bass in the normal fashion that I've always strung a bass and they keep slipping off from the peg !!!!

I basically....

1: Cut the string a post past the peg its going onto,

2: crimp at 45degrees as per the instructions

3: insert into the peg hole (vintage keys)

and wind slowly....

HELP !!!
  2. Hmm... I thought you were supposed to crimp the strings before cutting them. But if the outer wrap isn't unraveling from the core, it should be fine. I've tried what you describe with Slowounds and Blue Steels, and I found that loosening the tuning peg a little as soon as the string starts slipping, and then tightening again works fine. By loosening it the coils realigns for better grip, and I just do it as many times as necessary. Works for me.

Hope it helps.
  3. j-bass

Feb 5, 2004

i think maybe that as the string is "bare" and has no tape like other strings it maybe slipping.

no unraveling by the way.
  4. He he... I thought that it was because of the silk that the Slowounds and Blue Steels slipped. Never had the problem with DR's or any other "unsilked" strings
  5. j-bass

Feb 5, 2004
    well i've put on a set of Fender strings in the same way and they are fine strange !

I have notice the ondulated end on the fender strings seem to lock into place as where the plain DR is slipping.

You'd think DR Marcus Miller strings would work on a Marcus Miller Bass !!!!

6. I had the exact same problem with my Marcus Miller and DRs. You probably cut the string too short and there's not enough left to properly wind. Whenever I change my strings I allow at least 2 tuning pegs worth of string, 4 to 5 inches worth. I had to go out and get a whole new set. :meh:
  7. Humabass

Humabass Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    I've used DR's ever since they came out and never had one slip. I measure 3" past post,crimp string at about a 70 degree angle, cut leaving about 1" from crimp, place in center of post, then I make a "witness" point on the edge of the slot and slowly wind while keeping variable tension and applying downward pressure on the string with my right hand fingers. I also make sure the string isn't twisted after I make the cut. I rotate the string in the bridge until it lays naturally at the tuning post with the crimped end pointing down. Never fails!
  8. I cut about three inches past the post also.
  9. j-bass

Feb 5, 2004
    well they could have mentioned something on the pack !

i.e. leave more string...!

I always go the next post to avoid winding on too much.

ohhh well one set of short DR Fat Beams to the trash

10. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    It sounds like you may have cut the string to short, not to worry. Here's what you do. Wind the string one full turn on the post, as you continue to wind,cross the string over itself ( it will look like an x) and continue to wind the string down the post, this will cause the string to bind on itself and not slip.
  11. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001

1. Cut the string 2-3 inches past the post.

2. Stick the string in the peg.

3. Bend/crimp the 45.

4. Wind the string from top to bottom pushing the string down as I wind.

The only time I ever had one slip was when I cut a DR string too short.