Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DR strings RAVE

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by eric atkinson, Feb 23, 2005.

1. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Hey guys just wanted to share this story with ya! I own a usa spector 5 string in peacock blue. Well i have always played DRs on all my basses. Then i found out backa couple months ago that they came out with peacock blues. So ifreaked out and went to the local music stores to find them. Out 5 stores locally they only sold DRs in one. I go there and ofcourse they didnt have them in stock. Actually they only had elixers and boomers and one 6 string set of DRs. (not sure if that should make them a DRs seller or not) :meh: But anyways i asked them to order the strings for me. 2 months later i found myself getting kinda put out for i nicer way of putting it. So i e-mailed DR to try to find a online dealer because musicians friend didnt have them. He emailed me back the next day and said this.

Hi Eric,

Thanks for contacting me. We'll do what ever it takes to get strings to you. Shipment to Mo. from our location in New Jersey takes only 3 days. Musician's Friend doesn't carry our complete line, so that won't work for you yet.
    Send me your address (and the name of the store that had the shipping problem, if you want) and I'll send you a complimentary set to get you going.

Thanks again for contacting me.

Patrick Denniston
    patrick@drstrings.com

2. the guys at DR have always been good to me too. I once bought a set for a 5'er that I used to have and when I was putting them on the B string somehow got caught on the nut. I e-mailed DR to ask them what may have happened. They told me that sometimes the nuts on a new bass will be rough till they get broken in. They sent me 2 new B strings even though it was my fault for breaking 'em. Pretty cool I thought.

3. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    That's what I'm talkin' 'bout! Those guys rule. I'll never play anything other than DR strings, on my bass or my guitars. I've always really liked their products, and to know that they have outstanding customer service, well that's just, well, outstanding! You'll have to let us know how you like the Peacock Blues.

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I really like DR strings on my sterling.

5. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    I just think the peacock blues will look awsome on that peacock blue spector i will send pics in as soon as i get them!

6. Cliff Bordwell

Cliff Bordwell Commercial User

Jan 6, 2004
    USA , Orlando , Florida
    Owner of CB BASSES
    DR nickel Low Riders are my personal favorite!

7. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    My first set of strings that I've bought are DR Hi Beams - Too bad they're too brightr for me, gonna shoot for the nickel low beams maybe?

Even if they are too bright,m they still sound good to me...

8. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

I just put a set on my new Spector and the B was a little funny sounding (harmonic wierdness), I called them and explained, I had a new B on my door stoop the NEXT DAY!! Those guys totally RULE!!!

9. Nickel LowRiders are the best for me!!!

I have Red Devils on my Sterling but they burn my fingers when I make slides!!! This is not a joke, does anybody else has that problem??? :confused:

10. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Well i have the black beuties on my warwick and havent noticed any burning? They might need warn in as in most strings do but i am not sure why the red devils would do somthing diff than any other string?

11. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

The red ones have hot sauce in the dye. ;)

12. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    Just strings carries the full line of DR strings and shipping is fast and reliable check them out at www.juststrings.com

13. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Well, with a Red hot flaming devil straight outta hell, what did you expect? ;)

I like steel Lo Riders on my Corvette. And I like them a bit broken-in/worn-in (to me they sound the best for fingerstyle after a few weeks of playing. But for slap they are great fresh.)

14. zcwilkes

zcwilkes Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Barboursville, WV
    +1 on breaking them in.

15. Anyone tried out those Fat Beams yet? How are they compared to low riders?

16. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    I bought some DR Red Devils a few days ago, and I love them. For the price, I think they are better than Elixers in the way of coated strings.

Graeme

17. VtheMech

VtheMech

Jul 18, 2007
    Maryland, USA
    sorry to bump an old thread. but my black beauties friction burned me while sliding. lol

18. DR has some of the best customer service I've ever experienced. I spoke with Rosa and Kim and they really took care of me. I had a question on the DR Hi Beam Flats and the length and possible a bad string. The person who I needed to speak with was on vacation so they sent me a set of LoRider Nickels to hold me over. Really something.

Thanks DR.

19. jeffg333

jeffg333

Jul 22, 2008
    I have been playing DR strings for 15 years. never looked back.. Low riders for me..!
    tried the marcus millers and they are nice.. but i like the hex core better.. -jeffg

20. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    I installed a set of each for the very first time just about three weeks ago - the SS Lo-Riders on my fretted Carvin LB70, and the Fatbeams on my fretless Carvin LB70F. I'm still in a bit of a learning curve, having never played steel DRs before (only one set of nickel Lo-Riders previously), so I was surprised - pleasantly - by the relative warmth and roundness of both the SS Lo-Riders and the Fatbeams, as well as by their smoothness and relative lack of harshness and metallic "clackiness" in the high midrange and highs, while still retaining a nice stainless steel crispness and clarity. Plus, since I've got one set on my fretted bass and the other set on my fretless, it's not exactly an apples-to-apples comparison. However...

The first thing one notices is the tighter tension on the Lo-Riders. The Fatbeams are considerably more flexible. The Lo-Riders seem to have a little more powerful low end, and sound slightly darker and more compressed, at least to my ear. The Fatbeams have a very nice, full low end, though perhaps not as powerful as the Lo-Riders. And overall, I would say they're probably a little more open and expressive in the midrange, not quite as compressed in tone.

I'm definitely sold on the Lo-Riders - they're an ideal choice for modern, yet warm tone with a fretted bass. And I'm probably sold on Fatbeams for modern tone on a fretless - though I'm not as experienced with fretless instruments as I am with fretted instruments, so it may take me longer to fully evaluate these.

Either way, they're both very nice strings. It'd be hard to go wrong either way. Likely worst case scenario is that one set just might not be quite as right for you as the other... :meh:

MM