1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

DR Strings - Winding Length Issues

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by dcgoodwin2112, Mar 29, 2013.

1. dcgoodwin2112

dcgoodwin2112 Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    This happens on a few of my basses. The winding on the E doesn't taper fast enough so the entire width of the string goes over the post. I've had a few E strings break at the post after loosening the strings a few times. I really love the tone of Sunbeams, but I'm leaning towards finding a better fit.

Anyone had similar issues?

[​IMG]

2. powmetalbassist

powmetalbassist Supporting Member

I think it may have to do with the bass you play rather than the string length. If the bass were not set up with the large inline posts I doubt it would be a problem. I suppose they could shorten the string or extend the taper, but they can't please everyone becaue the split tuners (2 on either side of headstock) would be wonky.

3. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    They are 38" long. That is how they are... As long as the strings install fine you are going to be good to go!

4. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    You can't string through body?

Also you shouldn't really be loosening the strings after you have installed them. How do you break metal? Keep bending it.

5. dcgoodwin2112

dcgoodwin2112 Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Not on the JB2 - My Fender can, so I may try them that bass next.

It was needed for adjustments and not something I try to do if I can avoid it.

6. FourBanger

FourBanger

Sep 2, 2012
    SE Como
    Easy fix, just two words: Lefty Neck!

That way there us extra room on the thicker strings for the taper!

Anyone?!?

7. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    I play nothing but stainless Lo Riders, or DDT's Every bass I own with a 4 in line head stock has a bit of the fat part of the string wound on the E string tuner. It has never been a problem, never had any issues with the strings.