1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

DR Strings, would you?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by saxnbass, Oct 23, 2006.

1. Yes

24 vote(s)
    51.1%
  2. No

23 vote(s)
    48.9%
  1. saxnbass

saxnbass

Mar 9, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    Would you use DR Upright strings if they made them?

2. fretless Bob

fretless Bob If you fail to prepare, you prepare to fail.

Nov 27, 2005
    Harrow, London, U.K
    i dont see why not, i really like their electric strings

Dave

3. saxnbass

saxnbass

Mar 9, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    I'm doing this poll to see if we can get enough result to get DR to look into making them.

4. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    OlyWA...
    No as in no idea. What type of string would they make if they were to do this?

5. Andy Allen

Andy Allen "Working Bassist"

Aug 31, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    No.

Why would I want to spend ~$150 on strings from a company that has no history or experience with double bass strings? It's not the same market as electric bass, where flashy marketing can persuade players to try a $25 set of strings for the novelty of trying something new.

DR's success with Electric Bass strings means nothing in the Double Bass world, just as playing EB says nothing about one's DB abilities. The reverse may possibly be true...a good DB player is likely to do a good job on EB, and TomastiK-Infeld, long-time DB string makers, are doing well with their electric bass strings.

Andy

6. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Yeah...this question is not nearly specific enough. A look at history will tell you that it's not an easy switch to make. The only two companies that I can think of who have tried are D'Addario and LaBella. LaBella hs very little of the DB string market. A few people use them, but they're a niche at best. D'Addario has done better, but if you took a poll of how many of us who aren't using them would switch to them, the answer won't be all that posative. They also have their fans.

If DR came out with a string, we'd all pay attention, someone would try them, they would get written about ad nausiem and either they would make a splash or they wouldn't...or they'd be HUGE for 4 or 5 months and then settle into a niche when the novelty wore off.

7. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    I would rather use Thomastik-Infeld strings on a electric bass. Oh wait they already do that... :) BTW: Their jazz guitar strings aren't bad.

8. Steve Boisen

Steve Boisen Your first second choice™ Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Tampa Bay, FL
    I voted "no" because I don't like DR electric bass strings.

- Steve

9. JeffKissell

JeffKissell Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Soquel, CA
    I voted no because Steve did. Does DR even make flat wound strings?
    -J

10. Steve Boisen

Dec 3, 2003
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Now that's sound judgement ;)

According to juststrings.com they make 4 and 5 string Hi-Beam Flats in one guage only. I tried the stainless rounds and didn't like 'em. FWIW I use LaBella flats on my electric basses. :bassist:

LaBella and D'Addario actually have a long history of making bowed instruments strings. I highly doubt DR would ever enter that market.

- Steve

11. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    I hardly play my electric bass anymore, but I remember looking for flatwound DRs a few years ago and they didn't make them then. They pushed their soft nickel strings for fretless, but they were roundwound. Sunbeams were they?

I tried one set of their strings, either bass or guitar and didn't see what the big deal was.

12. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer Supporting Member

May 24, 2001
    Saint Louis, MO USA
    Only if Fender made a DB that I could use them on.

". . . I voted "no" because I don't like DR electric bass strings. . ."

x2

13. Steve Boisen

Dec 3, 2003
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Fender has made electric violins for some time, so it would not be a stretch for them to come out with an EUB.

Maybe with a P-Bass style headstock instead of a scroll. It would have a piezo in the bridge and a P-Bass pickup and would come in Candy Apple Red, Lake Placid Blue and 3 color sunburst.

Okay, I'll stop now.

- Steve

14. Dave Whitla

Dave Whitla

Apr 25, 2006
    Ireland
    No guarantees, obviously, but I would at least try them, depending on what they aimed at. Personally, I'm looking for a string with a pizz sound like Velvet compas 180 and arco sound like Helicore heavy tension...

still waiting...

15. JeffKissell

JeffKissell Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Soquel, CA
    When I was looking for bass strings for a P-bass (this was about 6-8 years ago) everyone said to try these strings but I could never find flat wounds . I just stopped trying and then stopped playing the electric bass altogether. ;)
    -J

16. Jake

Jake

Dec 11, 1999
    Florida
    I would maybe try them if they were any good. D'Addario had been making double bass strings for a while before they came out with the Helicore sets so maybe that helped with coming out with some decent strings. DR bass guitar strings are alright, but I prefer basic nickel strings and their nickels cost more than XLs or Boomers.

17. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Nope -- strings cost way too much for me to try something from DR, who has never had a history of making strings for orchestral instruments in the entire time they have existed.