Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DR Strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Razor, Jan 14, 2003.

1. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Just looking for opinions on these. I grabbed a set about 6 weeks ago, got a set of basic DR lights and I must say, after 6 weeks of playing, they still don't need replacing in my opinion. I have only been able to get 2-3 weeks max use out of the Dean Markley's, Ernie Ball, Fender, LaBella's...etc. These are holding up really well and even though they feel a bit "rough" I am jazzed about not having to change strings so much. They sound decent to me, comparable to the above listed brands at least.
    Anyone else have an opinion on this brand?

2. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Yup...I've played other strings. Everytime I switch out, I always come back to DR's. I usually play DR Hi Beams, but have also used Lo Riders. And, for the first time, I have a set of Fat Beams on my Spector.

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Ditto pour moi regarding what the RAM says about DR's.

What can I say??? They ran away with the 2002 & 2001 string polls at the link shown below, and are starting out 2003 way ahead of the pack (and it sure ain't because DR's are bargain priced).
    I think a string poll has more validity than a bass or amp poll because how many people can honestly say they've owned/regularly used that many different brands of amps/basses.....other than millionaire bassists?

http://www.daveonbass.com/pollresults_bsp2000.htm

Bass luthier rates them best in 3 categories in his string reviews - Best slap strings, Best nickelwound, Best Overall roundwounds.

4. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc

which DR's are you using? lo-riders, hi- beams? steel? nickel?

5. leanne

leanne

May 29, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    I use DR Fat Beams and really like them. Really great tone. I like the roughness, too. They don't seem to be all that long lasting, but they last about twice as long as the Rotosounds I used to use.

Anyway maybe its my fault, I noticed this insert with my strings lately that said not to stretch them?! :eek: I gotta stretch them...

6. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    when i bought my curbow rockwood 6 from mike z, it had fat beams on it...eek...i didn't think they those string suited that bass. i have sr2000's on it now...sounds great

7. DougD

DougD Bassman7654

Sep 19, 2002
    North Las Vegas NV
    I like em too:)

8. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    I ain't got a clue buddy. I threw the box away when I put the set on. I went into GC and opted to try them out, and I just asked for the lightest set they had. Again, these strings have far outlasted any I have used in 14 some-odd years of playing. I'm not used to playing a set of strings for so long and not having to scrub the oil/funk off of them with a pick. The rough feel does take some getting used to, but I would rather pay more to get a lot longer use out of a set of strings, than to hafta change strings every week or so. I'll try and see exactly what kind of DR's I am using. I think I bought two packs of the same but I'll hafta check. What are the differences in the Lo-Riders, Hi-Beams, and such? I prefer a really light guage for bending/pull-on's and such and just like the light guage for all around playability. Just my preference. Anyone who knows a good deal/bargain price on these strings let us know. I wouldn't mind just buying an outright case of em'.

9. Deep

Deep

May 8, 2002
    NY
    Hi-Beams have "round" core wire which makes them pretty flexible. Sunbeams are really just a nickel plated version of Hi-Beams. Low-Riders have a "hexagonal" core wire which is pretty much the traditional type of core used by most companies. They feel a little stiffer. They are available in nickel plated also. Actually just go to the DR website at drstrings.com and everything you want to know should be there. I like the type of roughness that they have, it gives them a nice tactile feel.

10. Sammy

Sammy

Aug 31, 2000
    SoCal
    I've used both DR's Low Riders Steel and Nickel 45 thru 125, and I agree with RAM, I always go back to them. I found there is a big difference in brightness and growl between the Steel and Nickel Low Riders. The Nickel strings give me the classic J sound while the Steel are deep and funky. Looking back, I wish I had spent the $$$$ to try both types on every bass I sold:oops:

11. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I have been using a set of Marcus Miller's 45-105's on my Stingray and I can honestly say they are the best sounding string right outa the box.
    I strung up my Ric with Boomers and my Stingray with DR's and I liked the DR's Better.

12. steve_man

steve_man

May 15, 2002
    High beams are my fav!

They sound so nice on my Geddy Lee Sig
    but they sound even better when you've worn them in for a couple of months.

Only one problem. Every time I've gotten a set of DR's a string breaks in about 8 months.

I've had two sets and the first time the D string went and then the next time the E string?:eek:

But this hasn't happened with any other brand:confused:

13. Right now I've got Hi-Beams on my Wal and Sunbeams on my Lakland. I've tried the Sunbeams on my Wal but I prefered the Hi-Beams on that bass. I love the Sunbeams on the Lakie for pseudo-Fender tones but I haven't tried Hi-Beams on it yet. DR makes great strings for sure.

14. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    mmm... im a DR Lover myself.. I use DR LoRiders exclusively. I always go back to them myself..

Their main shop is like 5 minutes from where I live (Its in Emerson, NJ)

DM

15. slipitin

slipitin Guest

Jul 26, 2002
    London
    I'm about to restring my Fender deluxe precision with DRs... thing is I much prefer heavy gauges and while I'm not a Mark King wannabe, I incorporate a fair amount of slap into my playing. I'm thinking heavy gauge Hi-Beams, do they slap well? I would go for the Lo-Riders but I guess they might be a bit stiff on a heavy gauge. Any thoughts?

:confused:

16. Sammy

Sammy

Aug 31, 2000
    SoCal
    When you say "bit stiff", is that in tone or in tension? For tension, I beleive DR offers a very comfortable tension compared to other strings of the same gauge, even the Low Riders.

17. Deep

Deep

May 8, 2002
    NY
    The Low-Riders feel a little less flexible than the Hi-Beams. It's more because of the hex core and not because they actually have more tension.

18. slipitin

slipitin Guest

Jul 26, 2002
    London
    Bought a set of sun-beams, no material wrapping past the nut on the ends of these, no biggie but wanted to know if this is standard with DRs?

:confused: :D

19. DougD

DougD Bassman7654

Sep 19, 2002
    North Las Vegas NV
    Yes It's standard with DRs.

20. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    DR's are great strings. Sunbeams 40-100, that's my favourite set of strings. Have 'em on both my Smith and my Jazz.