DR Sumbeams or Tomastik Power Bass

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Big String, Jun 21, 2002.

1. Good Morning Bass Lovers.
    I currently use DR Sumbeams and like them. I am finding they seem to lose their stiffness after a couple of weeks. The tone is pretty darn good after that time though.

I hear a lot of good things about the Tomastik Power Bass strings and I'm wondering how they compare in Stiffness to the Sumbeams ?? I wouldn't want anything floppier than the DR's already are. I don't know if it's the round core on the Sumbeams or what. I play mostly finger style.
  2. Sorry, I've not used Sunbeams. I wanted to for years, but they were not available in San Antonio. Now that I use Powerbass, they show up at a store.

The power bass is more flexible than the GHS boomers I always used to use. The tension is about the same to my feel anyway. I like them much better, especially when fretting up near the neck. I never liked the GHS up near the neck. I always had to press to hard.

I realize the B string is lower tension than the E - G on the powerbass, but was happy with the feel of the B string after they are on my bass. If you know what GHS feel like, perhaps this helps.
  3. Yep. that helps. Thank you. I ordered some the other day. I love the DR on my Lakland Deluxes but I'm not comfortable with them on my new Lakland Jazz. So, that is were the TI's are going to go. Thanks
  4. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    Big String
    Let us know how the tension and sound of the Powerbass strings compare to the Sunbeams. I'm in the exact spot you are- I have Sunbeams and am thinking about the TIs. Thanks
  5. KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I have used both many times. The TI Powerbass are a little stiffer than the sunbeams. There is also a slight difference in sound. The Powerbass are a little deeper sounding, but they are also a little rougher. They are both good sets of strings. The TI's hold their tone longer than the Sunbeams, but are also a little more expensive and only come in 1 gauge size. I recommend them both.