1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

DR Sunbeams compared to DR Jonas Hellborg set

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by len13, Oct 19, 2013.

1. len13

len13

Jan 3, 2011
    SF Bay Area
    I have played Sunbeams on and off for a while and was wondering about the differences between these strings.I have never tried the Jonas Hellborgs....thinking about trying them...just curious to hear some comparison feedback,thanks.

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I haven't tried the hellborgs but I have tried fender pure nickels. The hellborgs are gonna be warmer and have lower output than the sunbeams since they're pure nickel rather than nickel platet steel. I can't comment on how they'll feel but probably a bit smoother to the touch than the sunbeams.

3. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    The strings have nearly nothing in common. Hellborgs are a single wrap string. They just have one wrap of huge outer wire. They also have a very odd sound. They are nothing but fundamental. There are no upper harmonics at all. Just pure fundamental. They are also strange in that the tuner end is just bare core!

4. Dug2

Dug2 Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2011
    chicago
    Long time dr user here...switched to circle k. Now nothing else matters. . This probably didnt help though

5. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Hellborgs are actually not as smooth feeling since they are just a single wrap of huge wire. The Sunbeams are multiple wraps and the outer wrap is a compression wound, and it's a small gauge wire so Sunbeams are much smoother feeling.

There is no other string on earth like Hellborgs, both in sound and construction.

6. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Do you mean that in a good way? I always wanted to try them.

7. bassplace

bassplace Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Annapolis, MD
    Only way to know is to try them. They are quite unique. I used them until I switched to 5-string but now I'm back to sunbeams.

8. len13

len13

Jan 3, 2011
    SF Bay Area
    Thanks for the feedback...Unique seems to be the word,in terms of a comparison.No harmonics,just fundamental....seems interesting enough to try.

9. JustForSport

JustForSport

Nov 17, 2011
    Perhaps, one day, there'll be a B string?
    Or maybe the fundamental on the E is more useful than 1st harmonic on B?

10. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    I've never actually heard the Hellborg strings in action, so my comments are general - not specific to this make & model:

I would just point out that it is the harmonics that impart most of the character & color to a set of strings. Eliminate the harmonics, and you eliminate most of the character & color. :meh:

Based on this description alone, I would guess that the Hellborg strings are most useful for a specific application - probably best suited to a very busy, dense mix in which the absence of overtones would lend greater perceived clarity to the tone - but not necessarily for multiple applications that would apply to many players, or to many musical situations.

That said, far be it from me to second guess Jonas Hellborg. The cat is a brutal, mutant space alien monster of a player, so I'm sure he must have his reasons.

MM

11. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    Thanks,
    I just got a set of Hellborg"s and the tuner end thing kind of freaked me out.
    DR should explain this better, maybe on the outer box.
    So the bare core end will, hold tension from tuning?
    Not brake.

12. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Yep, no problem. Keep in mind the core is the same as a normal string, there are just no wraps around these.

13. u84six

u84six Nobody panic, the bass player is here! Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2006
    US
    DR Sunbeams are pretty much the best round wound out there. Please let me know if any other strings compare. :bag:

brianmharrison likes this.
  14. xroads

xroads

Nov 6, 2012
    For me, this holds true as well (used on Jazz Basses).