Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DR Sunbeams (need some opinions)

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by iceblinko, Oct 27, 2004.

1. iceblinko

iceblinko

Jul 15, 2003
    Ny
    hey all. i was just wondering what some of your opinions are on DR Sunbeams. do they really have a mid scoop? i play a Fender Am Standard P bass. i play with both pick and fingers and like a punchy, growly mid tone. any help would be appreciated! thanks...

-tom

2. To me they were all too much in the mids. Not punchy and deep enough. Sounded a little too boxy.

3. i wouldn't say they were mid-scooped. i will say that i'm excited to try fatbeams to see if they're as billed -- fatter and less bright than sunbeams. that would interest me greatly.

robb.

4. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Sunbeams are probably a little too mellow for the sound you're decribing. I would recommend some Ernie Ball strings. I think the Ernie Balls are more aggressive, and would be a good place to start to try to find the sound you've described, plus they're much less $ than DRs.

5. (pssst - it's compared to Hi-Beams they're supposed to be less bright. HB's and FB's are steel, SB nickel)

6. Ice,
    I would go for the Hi Beams or Lo Riders. The nickel strings are great for fretless, but for what your describing - I would go for a steel string and grind away!

7. so, uh, would the FBs be brighter than SBs?

robb.

8. Yes. I think SB's considered the least bright DR string. Still bright compared to other nickel strings.

But the ...Fatter, deeper thing still goes for FBs compared to both HBs and SBs. So if that's what you want go for those (or Lo-Riders). You can allways dial out the excess highs.