Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DR Sunbeams vs. Ernie Ball Nickel Slinky's vs. Thomatik-Infeld Jazz Roundwounds???

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Mar 31, 2002.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    this is an offshoot of the other nickel thread, but has anyone tried all three?? what's your take?

2. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    I currently use the T-Is on my fretted Jazz. I love 'em. They are really growly and incredibly easy to play. The gauges are quite light but they have a surprisingly big sound. I used to use DR sunbeams and Lo-riders on the same bass. While I liked both of them, I think the T-Is just 'feel better' on a Jazz, and they last much, much longer. My DRs seemed to lose their snap very quickly.

Right now, my P bass is strung with Ernie Ball Super Slinkys. I think these strings fit the bass really well ... the sound of strings works well with the pickup. When I first got the P bass, I strung it with the T-I JRs... but I really didn't like the sound. The T-Is have a lot of mids, which works well with Jazz pickups, but with the P it was just too much "bark." Contrary to what I've read, the Super Slinkys seem to last a really long time (I haven't changed mine since December, and I play every day).

Of course, YMMV. :D

[edited for grammar :p ]

3. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    I put some Tomastic flatwounds on my 62 Reissue P last week and played a gig. These are the best strings that I've ever had..never played better. Do their roundwounds have the same kind of low tension? Might put them on my MIA Deluxe Jazz.

4. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    The roundwounds are even lower in tension than the flats, IME.

5. Thomguy

Thomguy

Oct 15, 2001
    New York, USA
    Steve S: Oddentity is right, the jazz rounds are lower tension that the flats and also lighter gauge. Significantly lighter. They do indeed sound very similar to the flats with a bit more mid and upper frequency bite. They really do retain that warm, jazz coloring though. Another cool thing about the jazz rounds is that the outer wrap itself is a very small diameter material. The result is a round without a lot of squeak: VERY cool!

Oddentity, I just have to ask; Have you tried the T-I jazz flats on your P? They really are not the typical flat, I promise! Also, it seems that you were (once) under the impression that TI's typically don't last very long and I wonder where you heard this? I'm not trying to be argumentitive here it's just that it's the opposite of what most of us experience. (I've had mine on for over a year, and I get them free!)

If either of you would like our catalog, please feel free to call or email directly. No, we do not sell addresses. Actually we don't even sell the strings directly but I can be of tech support and help locate dealers, etc. Thanks for the support!

My best,
    Kevin Reynolds
    Sales and Artist Relations
    Connolly & Co.
    Exclusive Importers of Thomastik-Infeld Strings
    kevinr@connollyandco.com
    1-800-644-5268

6. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    Kevin,

I haven't tried the Jazz flats on my P, but I use them on my MIM Jazz fretless. Great strings!!! They still sound great after 15 months. Up until about a week ago :D, my P bass was my main axe, and since I prefer a roundwound sound on my fretted basses, I've stuck with the EB Slinkys. However, now may be a good time to try your suggestion and pop some Jazz flats on there!

As for string life -- I never meant to convey the impression that T-Is didn't last long!! Nothing could be further from the truth! :eek: Sorry -- I worded that paragraph poorly. I should have said, "Contrary to what I've read, [the Super Slinkys] seem to last a really long time (I haven't changed mine since December, and I play every day)." I'll edit my post to clarify... :D

7. I checked juststrings.com...are you guys talking about the nickel flat wound Roundcores and the round wound Roundcores?
    I liked my DR low riders, but they did seem to lose their snap kind of quickly. I'm still sort of new to bass playing, so I'm trying out everything I can. If these last longer, I'd love them.

8. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    One more thing, Kevin-

I'm thinking of trying some T-Is on my Tune 5-string. It's 35" scale but I think the windings should fit, using the measurements over on the Dudepit. Would you recommend the Jazz Rounds or the Powerbass for a 5er with 2 humbuckers and 3-band preamp?

9. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    I tried a lot of strings over the years before I settled on Thomastiks for my Jazzes.

I see that you play a MIM Jazz as well... I feel that the T-I Jazz Rounds go perfectly with that bass!

10. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    great question,

cause this is gonna dictate what i put on a Roscoe 5 string fretless which is a similar bass. but, it'll have a maple/diamondwood board, so i'll be able to use roundwounds without a problem. the T-I Jazz roundwounds seem like the perfect fit for 'em since many others have commented on the growly nature of the Jazz rounds. but hopefully, not overly growly that it'll get too old for me. hehe... :p

also, i'm from the Bryn Mawr area, btw, so its good to see another philadelphian on the forum.

cheers! :D

11. Thomguy

Thomguy

Oct 15, 2001
    New York, USA
    Hmmm. Since Oddentity if familiar with the properties of the JR's I'll try to desribe the Powerbass series along familiar lines. The EB's (EB345 for your 5 string) are basically going to produce a hotter, cleaner signal across the entire frequency spectrum. They're designed to give more of a contemporary 'edge' but they still favor even harmonics instead of distortion, like the JR's. There's no silk inlay in the EB's but they filter out the noise with a nickel plated outer wrap. The high iron content of the core and cover wires deliver the signal so you end up with a higher signal to noise ratio. That bass sounds like it's got plenty of on board power as it is so if you want even mo'punch but lose the noise in the process, I'd go with the EB's because the signal will be there and it's up to you how you want to shape it from there. Conversly if the JR's were on there and you wanted to favor the mids or upper frequencies, there's not too much you can do to boost the brightness.

As for length, they ought to fit a 35" (some 35.5") scale bass. The shortest is the B which has about 36.38" of speaking length from the ball to the silk at the headstock end.

PS- This post is pre-coffee for me so if I missed anyones questions, please remind me ;-)

My best,
    Kevin

12. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    Cool! I'm in Bryn Mawr right now! (I work here)

I'll probably walk down to Medley Music on my lunch break to see if they have any Thomastiks in stock... :D

Kevin, thanks for the info... it sounds like the Powerbass will be a good choice. If Medley doesn't have 'em (they usually just have the flats in stock), I'll be heading over to the Dudepit later today...

13. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I use DR Sunbeams on my Carvin and TI Powerbass on my L2000. They are very different strings and have fairly different sounds. If you get interested in Powerbass they are very "meaty" but even sounding. The Sunbeams are a little "cleaner" sounding, but seem to give me a little more growl.
    I like them both.
    I have never tried TI Jazz or EB.

14. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    Checkin' in here... I put a set of Thomastik Powerbass on my 5 string last weekend. They were replacing the original, 4-year old factory strings (which had not had much playing time and still sounded surprisingly good).

They definitely livened up the sound... Very full-range strings...

I was able to use my onboard preamp to cop a number of different sounds: Deep dub tones by boosting bass and cutting mid and treble. Really nice growl with the mids boosted a hair. I also got a great Justin Chancellor type sound just by boosting the treble and playing with a pick. At all setting, the strings seemed to cut through the guitars in my band much better than the stock strings.

The gauges are well balanced and volume is even from string to string. They are indeed meaty-sounding as KB said, but without the corresponding tension. The tension is comparable (maybe a little less) than the Ernie Ball Slinkys I use on my P bass. Not too tight, not too loose (IMO).

Also, the strings needed very little time to stretch out and acclimate to the bass. It only took a few re-tunings- very nice.

It looks like I won't be needing new strings on my 5er for a while! :) I wonder what these would sound like on my P bass... :D

15. Thomguy

Thomguy

Oct 15, 2001
    New York, USA
    Thanks for the feedback, Tim. I think you pretty much nailed what they designed the Powerbass for in your description. They'll produce a hotter signal across the entire frequency spectrum and you can use your rig to shape the tone from there. very versitile stirngs, for sure. That being said, they should sound great on your P.

My best,
    Kevin

16. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Kevin (from Connelly Co.):

You stated that TI strings will fit 35" scale basses. I've tried them on several occassions and on several basses, and they never fit a 35"scale bass. Has something changed recently?

I've sent numerous emails directly to Thomastik-Infeld requesting that they make longer scale strings, and have not received a single reply.

JD

17. Thomguy

Thomguy

Oct 15, 2001
    New York, USA
    I always keep the word "most" in my descriptions as most of our sets do indeed fit most 35" scale basses and even some 35.5" scale basses. I always need to be careful because a statement like, "T-I's will fit a 35.5 inch scale bass" can be misleading as it depends on the set and it depends on the bass.

What set of T-I's are you hoping to install on your 35 and what kind of bass is it? Is it 35" from bridge to nut? If so is it also a string-through?

If you can find out how much length is needed from where the ball anchors to the peg-head side of the nut, I can tell you if the set you hope to try will fit or perhaps how to make it fit.

As for inaction from the folks in Vienna, I apologize on their behalf. I sometimes experience that, too. It's no excuse, but you're better off calling or emailing me. I can't promise that our strings will fit your axe, but I can promise to provide excellent service in regard to any inquiries you may have. Feel free to call or email anytime. Or of course, post here.

18. Thomguy

Thomguy

Oct 15, 2001
    New York, USA
  19. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

Here's a trick I learned from TB's own illustrious Steve Lawson to get strings to properly fit on extra long scale basses.
    The main problem seems to be the silk wrappings extending too far back and onto the nut. The silk can be shaved, or cut, with a razor blade to the proper length for your bass, and a dab of clear nail polish will seal it back in place and keep it from unraveling. Steve was doing this to the B string of his Elites Flats to fit his custom Modulus 6.
    ...and I should add, it should also work on TIs, of which I have used both the 5 and 6 string sets and found them to be absolutely wonderful! I am currently using TI Flats on my five string fretless...with a high C ...and it is one of the most amazing singing tones...and the damn things just seem to NEVER wear out!
    They are great strings.....
    Max

20. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    I currently use DR Sunbeams on my fretted jazz. Do the T-I's (JR-344's I assume) have a similar tone? I'm all for light gauges at any rate. I have T-I Jazz Flats on another bass (an old Gibson set up to be all dubby) and I like those so I may try T-I's next time around for my Jazz.