DR sunbeams vs. TI Jazz rounds

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by basss, Jul 10, 2002.

1. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    Anyone try both of these strings? How do they compare in tension and sound? I had some sunbeams on my 5 string and recently switched to powerbass. The powerbass have too much off a metallic edge and I'm missing the growly warmth of the sunbeams. I know the jazz rounds are similar in construction to the sunbeams. Anyone try these two?
  2. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Basss, I know nothing about TI Electric Strings, but I do love the DR Sunbeams. I think they are a great all around sound and they are easy on the fingers and frets. Nice tension.
  3. oddentity

oddentity Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    The JRs have FAR less tension than Sunbeams. Some like this, some don't. I do - great for bending, and they're very easy on the fingers. They are definitely growly strings, with pronounced midrange (in a good way). Less highs than Powerbass.

What kind of bass will you be stringing? The JRs sound amazing on my Jazzes but I didn't like them on my Precision. I've never tried JRs on my five, so I don't know how the B string sounds.

How long have you had your Powerbass strings on there? I found that mine lost their metallic zing after a couple weeks, but have kept a nicely broken-in sound ever since (March). I can get a nice growl out of my PB strings by favoring the bridge pickup.

IME, Thomastik strings in general far outlast DRs (I used to use DR Lo-Riders and Sunbeams but they went dead too fast for me).
  4. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    I've only had the PB's on for about a week and it is that metallic zing thats anoying me. It was to big a change from the broken in sunbeams that were on there before. Maybe I'll stick with them for a couple more weeks to see how they break in on my bass. I play a yammaha bbn5 w/J's so it may turn out good.
    I doubt I would like far less tension than I had w/the sunbeams. The B string on my bass is good but it is only a 34" scale and I'm concerned about floppiness. Thanks
  5. If you do try the TI jazz roundwound on your five string someday, let me know what you think. I am interested in trying the jazz someday.

I just put the powerbass on my five string a couple weeks ago also, and like them a lot so far, but would be interested in your comments. I have the same concerns about the 34" scale for the B string.
  6. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    I've used Sunbeams on my Jazz bass for the last little while. I really like 'em but I'm thinking of trying the TI Jazz rounds next. Once I get a set (the Canadian importer hasn't not been what I would describe as helpful...) I'll tell you what I think.