1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

DR Sunbeams- would these strings be worth trying?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Sean775, Mar 27, 2015.

1. Sean775

Sean775

Mar 19, 2015
    New Jersey, USA
    I'm looking for a nickel roundwound string that is perhaps a little bit on the warmer side. I'm currently using GHS Boomers, but they seemed to lose their tone quickly and I want to try a different brand now.

2. BigDanT

BigDanT Supporting Member

Aug 26, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I just asked nearly this identical question yesterday and got a lot of good feedback about the sunbeams so I think I'm going to give them a try. I'll report back.

3. Mediocrity Man

Mediocrity Man Master of Mediocrity

Apr 11, 2014
    Stillwater, New Jersey
    GHS Pressure Wounds are really nice. I've had a set on my Spector for about 2 months and they still sound great. Deep warm lows with clear mellow highs. They can still growl a bit if you dig in and they feel great on the fingers. These may become my permanent go to strings. I'd also like to compare them to the DR Sunbeams one of these days.

4. joebar

joebar

Jan 10, 2010
    the nice thing about sunbeams is that they aren't overly zingy when new and they tend to keep that character over the long haul. I have some on my jazz after 6 months are still decent.

5. woodyng

woodyng

Dec 19, 2007
    Oregon coast
    I've used DR strings for years,hi beams,low riders,fat beams,and the Sunbeams are my favorite.
    They seem to have all the clank you need,and with a flexible feel,and are a warmer sounding string than the stainless steel ones.

blindrabbit likes this.
  6. Mediocrity Man

Mediocrity Man Master of Mediocrity

Apr 11, 2014
    Stillwater, New Jersey
    Swapped out the Pressure wounds for Sunbeams a few weeks back. Great in so many ways. Nice and flexible with a soft feel. Sound wise they are warm with a little but of zing on the top end. There's a good amount of presence and they can still growl with the right attack. Gonna keep these babies on for a while.

blindrabbit likes this.
  7. klokker

klokker

Jan 7, 2009
    Steele City, NE
    I'm with everyone else. They're a great string. I'm more of a "mids" guy when looking for strings, and prefer hex core, so I've moved elsewhere, but that's pretty picky. Sunbeams are great.

bravesaint5 likes this.
  8. I'm in the same boat. I like the Sunbeams, but I prefer Nickel Lo-Riders because I like the feel and response of the Hex-core. You won't go wrong with Sunbeams though, they are great strings.

klokker likes this.
  9. RunBeerRun

RunBeerRun Banned

Mar 10, 2003
    yeas i tried the bigger dh ones, they are good to usits

10. Same here. I do prefer the playing feel of the hex core.

However, my J-bass actually sounded better with the Sunbeams when I tried them and the Nickel Lo-Riders back-to-back last year.

11. groove pump

groove pump

Oct 24, 2006
    Worth a try? Absolutely. I've used these in my passive Jazz for several years and they've more or less become my "normal". While I've done fine with D'Addario nickel rounds here and there - actually prefer them in my active P/J - the Sunbeams seem to match up with my J-bass especially well. I think I actually like them more as they age a little bit and lose just a little of that super bright top end that we get with a brand new set of rounds.

I just dropped fresh sets of D'Addarios in both basses I mentioned above on Monday. The Jazz just didn't seem right, so I swapped in the Sunbeams yesterday. While the 3rd and 4th strings of the DR set are .005 heavier than the D'Addarios, the Sunbeams also have a combo of feel, texture, and response that I prefer. Hard to say for sure, but these strings are home-sweet-home for me in this bass and I really like how they mellow over time.

12. jamersonburton

jamersonburton

Jul 22, 2011
    They are very good strings. But expensive. Very expensive. For rounds I've settled on roto swing bass ss and daddario xl pretty much.

13. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

Sunbeams are my favorite rounds. Great rich, mellow tone right from the start and they keep it for a long time. Little or no zinginess, nice feel. Not expensive. T.I.s are expensive.

14. MothBox

MothBox

Oct 25, 2010
    DR Sunbeams and La Bella RX Nickles are my 2 favourites. I got recommended the La Bella because I liked Sunbeams and really like them, a bit more pricey than the Sunbeams though. I'm using both on my basses.

15. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Did you find the Rx a lot stiffer than the Sunbeams?

16. MothBox

MothBox

Oct 25, 2010
    Yes, it feels like they have more tension. Not a huge difference, but noticeable. I use RX on my main bass. They're definitely worth trying out if you like Sunbeams.

mmbongo likes this.
  17. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    Just put a set on a jazz. Very nice. Wish they were cheaper!

18. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
  19. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    A bargain if you are in the USA!

20. Sweet Willie

Sweet Willie

Dec 31, 2014
    NY
    Former moderator for now non-active Nordstrand Forum
    I use Sunbeams on a modern J style bass. Love them on that bass. The description others have used is apt -- rounds w/ a little mellowness to them. (I used them on a fretless I used to have, too, and I thought they were a nice match for fretless for those that like the sound of rounds on a fretless fingerboard. Some mellowness, but still that nice edge that rounds can bring to fretless sound.)