Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DR Sunbeams: Your source for fretless goodness

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Groundloop, Mar 19, 2006.

1. Groundloop

Groundloop

Jun 21, 2005
    Toronto
    Just got back from my first jam with the Sunbeams on my fretless Warwick Streamer 4 (P/J), and I have to say these are the best strings I've ever had on that bass. Mwaah for days. I've found most rounds on that bass to be squeeky bright, whereas the Sunbeams are what I'd call warm bright. They also filled in the lo mids a bit, so that I played almost the whole 3 hours with the bridge pup soloed. I don't usually like fresh new strings, but these were great (for me). We'll see how long they hold this tone. As an added bonus of the lower tension, the strings are a lot more responsive to my E Bow.

If anybody is think of trying them out, make sure you follow the (included) instructions about crimping+cutting the strings. I didn't have any issues, but better safe than sorry.

2. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Is your fretless fingerboard finished or unfinished?

3. Groundloop

Groundloop

Jun 21, 2005
    Toronto
    The most accurate term would be "semi finished". It's an ebony board that I've been waxing with the Warwick bass wax. I've been toying with the idea of dressing the board and trying polymerized tung oil for a harder finish.