Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DR Sunbeams

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by KB, Apr 14, 2000.

1. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I just put a set of Med-Lt (.100-.045) DR Sunbeams on my Carvin LB70 and I really like these strings. They are nickel roundwounds and have a much deeper sound than the stock strings that came with my carvin (I like the general feel of them more than the carvin strings too). They are very slick(smooth) for roundwounds so finger noise is reduced. DR calls them compression wound. Has anyone else tried these strings? I haven't heard of many people using DR strings and I was curious if they would keep their good sound.
    They seem kind of similar to (but better than) D'addario XLs, but I was never really impressed with the D'addario XL strings.
    Any opinions on these or other DR strings?\\

-KB

[This message has been edited by KB (edited April 14, 2000).]

2. Robert B

Robert B Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2000
    Hampton, Va USA
    Hi KB -- I put a set of Sunbeams on my Jazz 5 about a month ago. They are extemely comfortable strings, very smooth with just the right amount of tension and flexibility. They sound different from any other string I've tried. I find they have a very scooped out midrange sound. Sometimes I like that just fine, and other times I find myself trying to EQ the mids back in. The Sunbeam low B was terrible -- I mean flat out dead. I replaced it with a D'Addario Slowound .130 -- it's much better though it's not a perfect match for the set tonally. Than again, I have yet to find any set with a B string that's a perfect match tonally... The Sunbeams seem to be holding up pretty well. They have lost some of their initial brightness, but after a month are nowhere near dead. All in all, though, I think I prefer a string with more midrange presence. Exactly what that string is, I don't know -- I'm still looking. Take care

------------------
    Robert B

[This message has been edited by Robert B (edited April 16, 2000).]

3. When I bought my first bass, the salesman (who was a friend of mine) put on a set of DR's before I walked out of the store. They are still the only a string I play. I once bought a set of Erni Ball's and after one gig(which was about 3 days later) I was back at the music shop buying another set of DR's. The tone was so much better and they were just easier to play. DR's are great strings.

4. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    I certainly hope that the DR quality control is better now than it used to be. 2 out of 3 set I had bought over a period of time had dead strings right out of the package. My friend had a similar experience at right about the same time. I liked the sound and feel of the strings that werent dead, but I havent bought any DR's since. My strings now are the Elixirs. Tone for many months!!

5. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I still haven't had any problems with my DR sunbeams (no dead strings). they do lower the mids slightly, but thats ok because if I want more of a growlly mid sound I just pan to my bridge pup and turn up the mid knob on my active Carvin.
    I have used these strings for tap, slap, pick, pluk, and fingerstyle bass and they sound great in all of these styles. I think I am hooked on their sound, plus you can't beat their great feel!!!

-KB

6. farboozle

farboozle

Apr 18, 2000
    Fairfax VA
    I've tried a lot of strings, because I really really prefer the tone of newer strings. Thus I am always hoping that the next set of strings will keep it's tone forever. I was pretty cynical of the DR's claims, but in my experience, they have kept their tone much longer than most. However, they're also expensive. Which is better (not considering tone difference), more sets of cheap strings that lose their tone, or one set of expensive strings that lose their tone slower. I'm still experimenting on that.

7. I think a more expensive string that last longer, sounds better, and is easier to play is worth the extra cost. You always get what you pay for. Ive never had a dead DR out of the package (knock on wood). PEACE!

------------------
    ThePez

8. K112774

K112774

Apr 5, 2000
    What do all of you think about DR hi beams versus the sunbeams. i have used the Hi-beams and they are great for slapping but I don't slapp all the time. And yes the strings med light Carvin's that came with my Carvin LB70 are a little to twangy for me. I have a set of the Hi beams but am afraid if I put them on they will be way to bright with the obvious brightness of the Carvin. I want a bright sound but I still need some boom and low sustain when we go into jazzy slow jam and I can't find a set of strings yet that can be slapped fingerstyled and still give me a good low boom without the whole set sounding real low. I used to use Boomers med light but I am searching for a sound any Carvin users that may be able to help please talk on Keith

------------------

9. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    The sunbeams won't be quite as bright. I like them on my Carvin. I think they compliment it very well. I don't do much slap, but when I do the sunbeams seem to do well.

-KB

10. brewer

brewer

Mar 27, 2000
    i used to use hi beams, but i had a quality control issue with DR too. i found that some of their strings would break very quickly (during a second practice). this happened three times at which point i switched brands and had a very sour taste for DR.

i've never used sunbeams though, only hi beams.

11. SEVEN

SEVEN

Mar 25, 2000
    i've tried both the Sunbeams and Hi-beams and they're both great strings, very flexible with plenty of highend and presence. by comparison the hi-beams have more presence/upper mids and treble snap than the sunbeams. i would suggest using sunbeams unless you have a darker sounding bass or amp/cabinent, unless you're an extremely aggressive player or do a lot of upper register solos.

12. Bernie

Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    I just ordred a set of sunbeams.They'll be my first DR'S ever.Ill be putting them on my Epi JCS and get back ASAP with a review.

13. Bernie

Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    Well the strings came the other day.They sent me the nickel low riders instead of the SBs i ordered.Since ive never tried DR strings i figured what the hell and put them on anyway.These do have a very nice feel and tone.I may try the SBs next if these last a decent time.So far i like them alot.

14. Bob C

Bob C

Mar 26, 2000
    Duluth, MN
    I too have finally concluded that the stock strings on my Carvin bass are a bit too "twangy", and the E is a little flabby. It's an LB70 strung thru-body with Carvin med-lights (40-100). I have the action a little higher than I'd like ideally, to stiffen up the tension.

Do the Sunbeams' tension feel the same as Carvins - within that guage? Should I switch to the next heavier guage? Do they have a "scooped out" sound, as someone mentioned? Are they tapered? If not, will they still fit through the body?

15. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    The sunbeams are much smoother and easier to play than the stock carvins (also a little less "flexible" and "twangy" than the carvins). I use Med-Lt .045-.100 on my Carvin LB70. They have no problems going through the body and they have a great sound (kinda modern, but I can get classic sounds as well with a little eq). They are kinda long for the LB70 so you may have to clip thema little (I do it all the time...I have used about 5 sets of these and every one sounds great and is very consistant). They last a long time as well.

-KB

16. BernardJohnson

BernardJohnson

Jan 9, 2001
    Hey KB

I have DR Lo-Riders (45-105) on my MIM JAZZ and they sound fat and smooth....I didn't realize they made Sunbeams
    Are they simular in tone to the Lo-Riders?

peace, BJ

17. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I have never played lo-riders. But the sunbeams are nickel plated and I can get a slap sound easily and a low vintage sound with a little eq. I like the feel of the sunbeams, they are easy on the fingers (tighter wound) and easy on the frets (since nickel). I also play a more "modern" style of bass (but I don't really slap much)and these Sunbeams with my Carvin LB70 give me the sound that I love (bass with more of a presence and that is more up front in the mix). I recommend the sunbeams, but it all depends on the sound you are going for.

-KB

18. how deep-sounding are they? I need very versatile strings...

19. anyone??????????????????

20. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    They sound deep to me, but not the same as flatwounds. The Sunbeams do have theslight twang of roundwounds (after all that is what they are). I have just found I like their tone better than D'addario XLs, but it is different than the flats I have on my P-bass and definately it is not as deep as my Ashbory!!!

-KB