Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DR Tapers No Good, Name some other good tapered brands

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by groveofbass, Feb 13, 2005.

1. Well, after my experience with the DR tapered strings (weird out of tune over tones) and discovering a handfull of other posts here with people having the same problem, im going to look for another brand with good tapered strings.

Any suggestions? Share your favorites. Also, if you had the same problem with your DR Long Necks, post your horror story here.

2. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Ken Smith and LaBella make some really good tapors, and if you're budget conscience, Carvins are an amazing string for the price.

3. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    +1 for weird experiences with taper DR strings, horrible sound, funny character, I took them off after my first gig with them and put them in the round file.

4. NOLA Bass

NOLA Bass Mr. Worst Case Scenario Man Gold Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
    I picked up some Ken Smith tapers for my custom 5 string and so far, so good.

5. I've got a set of the Medium Tapers on a 4. I really like them.

6. I like the Sadowsky strings. They're made by R. Coco/E & O Mari, I think that's Labella. I use the 5 string set and the low "B" is tapered, the other strings are normal. They're about $30.00 US.

7. what about SIT? i hear good things about them.

8. Dean Markley SR2000

9. dabassist

dabassist

Jul 24, 2003
    taper=labella

I think they're great!

10. mckinaso

mckinaso

Feb 17, 2005
    Do any of you use Elixir's on an acoustic bass? I have a Thunderchief Electric/Acoustic and am thinking of getting them. Most likely .100-.45 as recommended by the manufacturer.. Do I need to purchase the elixir Nanoweb's for Electric or the Nanoweb's for the acoustic? I am not sure if there is a difference..

ELX_14502
    Acoustic Bass Guitar Soft Long Scale NanoWeb, .045 - .100
    $37.70
    ELX_14052
    Bass Guitar Long Scale NanoWeb Coating, .045 - .100
    $37.70

Any suggestions?

11. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Second vote for the Markley SR2000

12. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    ... and a 3rd vote for the Markley's. :) I had these on my Pedulla when I had it and they were great!