Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DR vs DR

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Caca de Kick, Oct 25, 2004.

1. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Okay I bought two sets of DR strings...one set is High Beams, and the other is the Marcus Miller Fat Beams. They sure both look and feel exactly the same. I was hoping the Fat Beams would be a brighter string over the High Beams.

Anyone know if there is really suppose to be any difference?

2. rsautrey

rsautrey Banned

Jul 27, 2000
    Here are the differences between the two types based on a conversation I had with Tony from DR strings.

Hi-Beams = Stainless Steel wound on a Round Core. These are the brightest string DR makes. Very flexible and easy to play. These have a subdued midrange response and sparkling highs.

Fat-Beams = Stainless Steel wound on a Round Core. Tony says that these are wound at slower speeds than the Hi-Beams which creates a stronger midrange characteristic. They also are a little stiffer than Hi-Beams of the same gauge.

3. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Thanks. Looks like I'll have to switch the strings around from the basses I put them on. I figured the MM/FB's would have been the brighter.

4. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    Having first hand experience with both of these strings I have to concur with Tony. I do not use High beams anymore becuase of the weak midrange voicing effect they have on my instrument. Fat beams and lowriders seem to be the cure with lowriders being a little stiffer and biting ( soundwise).

5. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    For which bass? Spectors get LR's the Warwick too. Fenders get Highbeams for growl. That's just my .02 cents worth.

6. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    My Fender used to get Sunbeams :p