Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by relman, May 14, 2001.

1. Hi Ariel,

It has occurred to us but we cannot make them (flatwound strings) handmade. It kind of of goes against what we are trying to do here. We get asked often to make them, so you never know, maybe we will change our mind one of these days.

Thanks for writing,

The DR Staff

2. they sent it to me today after i asked about Flatwounds????
    How does it go against what they are trying to do????????????

3. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    rel-dude :) . I wrote and asked `em the same thing...

>Do y'all have any plans to make a FLATWOUND
    >Bass string?
    >Sorry ###,
    >Not at this time. The problem with a flatwound
    >bass set, is it cannot be made totally hand made
    >without cutting your fingers to shreds. This is why
    >we do not make them.
    >Thanks for asking,
    >The DR Staff

4. =^..^=

Jan 25, 2001
    Stuck on a rock !
    I'd guess what they are saying is that if they made flats they would not be able to make them to the standard which they want.

Sounds like they hand wind their strings some how rather than have a big old machine do it.
  5. arent TI's hand made??????
  6. They are. Someone's lying, either that, or T/I doesn't make them completely by hand. Or maybe they just have a secret, like magic gloves or something. I really don't care how they're made, they sound great either way.

Also, no string is 100% handmade, there has to be at least some machinery, such as a lathe or something, at least that's what I read in a BP article a while ago. So maybe T/I and DR have different definitions of what "handmade" is.
  7. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    When I think roundwounds, I go with DR and Rotos.

When I think flats, I go with TI.

Never felt at a loss that DR doesn't make flats though.

Maybe they feel it's not in their best interests to try and break into that sector.