1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Dragon Skins

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Billy K, Mar 24, 2013.

1. Billy K

Billy K

Nov 5, 2009
    North Bay Marin
    Wow got my first set.I have used lo rider,sunbeam,Marcus Miller,Black Beauties,neons but these......kinda nice. feel so good. kinda perverted huh!

2. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Still Playing After All These Years Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2008
    Hillsdale, Portland
    Have been banging sets of Neons on an active bass for six months or so and have come to an acceptable balance of sound with them.

Have a set of Dragons on a passive P and they feel...sticky. Maybe I've haven't worked them enough although I've spent probably 50 hours on them. Like the sound but not crazy for the touch.???

3. Technotitclan

Technotitclan Lurking TB from work

Mar 1, 2012
    Rochester, NY
    I'm thinking of trying these. How to they compare sound wise to the Marcus Millers?

4. dalo320

dalo320 Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Brooklyn, NY
    I just put these on a bass. I really like em so far.
    Assuming they don't shed like elixirs have in my experience, I'll be using them for a long time.

5. Billy K

Billy K

Nov 5, 2009
    North Bay Marin
    I never got to play my Marcus Millers the E string broke tuning it up. I asked in a e-mail to DR what they could do for me and they blew me off. So I had the Dragons and I put them on instead. I like them so far.

6. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    I knew dragons existed I just knew it!!! all of you suckers who called me crazy eat it ha!!

7. Billy K

Billy K

Nov 5, 2009
    North Bay Marin
    well just got a e-mail from DR and they are going to take care of me.So I in fact must have been impatient saying"they blew me off" because a week later a reply. Sorry bout that. They think I may have not put a good crimp in the string.I will pay closer attention to that detail when my new string arrives.Thank you DR.

8. ceerod

ceerod Supporting Member

After hours and hours of reading through the posts here about Dragon Skins I've decided to give them a go.

Seems quite a few folks on here use bassstringsonline but I wanted to share deal juststrings.com has going on right now in case it helps anyone, buy 2 sets of dragon skins get 1 free.

http://www.juststrings.com/dragonspecial.html

I have 3 basses (Roscoe 4, Stingray 5 & Warmoth 6) so I figured I try these strings on all 3 and see which they feel/sound best on.

9. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Still Playing After All These Years Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2008
    Hillsdale, Portland
    Have used the Dragons and Neons for about six months now, maybe more.

I like the way they suppress the overtone ring that come with rotos, while maintaining that lively twang.

I didn't like the feel at first, and every new set has to be worn in a bit before that "sticky" feeling goes away, IMO.

The strings seem to last longer than uncoated, and that is a plus.

Finally, JustStrings is an old friendly online vendor, and Jason @bassstingsonline is just the new kid on the block. In my case I order from Mr J and drive out the next day and pick them up, pursuing what's new.

10. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I bought a bunch the last time Bass Strings Online had their buy two, get one free sale and just put my last two sets on. One on my Warwick Streamer and one on my Lakland 4402. I had forgotten how great these strings sound. I've been struggling finding a string I love for both of these basses and so far the Skins are the ticket.

I love the slick feel of the Dragon Skins, not sticky at all. How do these feel compared to FatBeams?

11. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com

Yeah this ended a few months ago. I think it was March or even February when this thread was active last too.

I'll check with DR and see if they are still doing this but I do not think they are. In April, they did a buy 2 get one on the GREEN NEON's.

It is very rare that DR does any promo's...

12. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    For the record, neither crimping nor not crimping a string has any noticeable bearing on whether or not the string will break (at least if the crimping is executed properly). The purpose of crimping a roundcore string (prior to cutting & installation) is to prevent the outer wrap of the string from unwinding from the core.

So far as I know, that is its only purpose... :meh:

MM

13. JustForSport

JustForSport

Nov 17, 2011
    Crimping is also recommended on some (most/all) flats, so I just crimp 'em all first, before cutting.
    Then the ends all easily fit into tuner pegs, ready to wind...