Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by b0nes83, May 21, 2002.

1. b0nes83

Dec 14, 2000
    Has anyone played Dragonetti's Concerto in A major? I just got the sheet music the other night for it and cant wait to find some time to start practicing this piece. I am going to play this for next semesters recital so it needs to be played perfect...does anyone know where i can get a recording of this...like a single cd because i found one at Boarders and it had like 8 other tunes for $30. thanks
  2. Try lemur Music. They have several different versions of it with various artists.
  3. contrabajisimo

Feb 9, 2004
    what is the url for Lemur music? the bass lemur music shop doesn't seem to have any recordings.

Can anybody suggest a recorded performance of this Dragonetti concerto by a well-known double bassist? The Amazon and Barnes & Noble seem to be out of stock. Where can one find the recordings of this concerto? Thank you.
  4. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    From the Lemur homepage, click the "online store" link; there's a hyperlink reading "enter". From the resulting page, click on the "music by composer" link.

5. contrabajisimo

Feb 9, 2004
    thanks, man! I must have been blind not see the "enter" link before... cool.
  6. kraid

Apr 11, 2003
    It's hard to find but pick up the Gary Karr recording. Apparently he does it differently than most people or so says my teacher, but I enjoy his blaze right through it style of the first movement and feel the way that I play it is largely influenced by his recording.
  7. contrabajisimo

Feb 9, 2004
    I still haven't found a retailer that has that concerto. The Lemur store seems to have the sheet music only.
  8. olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    try Allmusic.com: I have the Orchestra di Padova e del Veneto version. Your local CD outlet is not likely to have this kind of stuff in store. I got mine from Tower's when I went thru NYC.
  9. LaurenBell

Aug 10, 2004
    Cincinnati, OH
    The Gary Karr recording is ok. I'd get a couple of recordings because most of the bassists I have talked to disagree strongly with the way Gary Karr plays, so I would get some other recordings to get a better idea of what most people's interpretations are. There are so many disagreements over exactly what to do, whether to do the accelerando or not (My teacher calls it a trainwreck but another teacher told me to do it that it was like a rollercoaster). Another point where disagreement erupts is over whether to play it more romantically or classically. My teacher says classically because that's more accurate for the period, and also opinions differ on whether to slow down for the triplet legato areas. These are just some of the major controversies over interpretation on top of the smaller ones, like where to phrase and fingerings.
  10. sonic bass

sonic bass

Jul 12, 2004
    I have the midi, send me a private msg if you want me to email it to you.

what I´ve heard of the Gary Karr version is very good.