1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Dragonfire Guitars Pickgaurds Anyone? What do you think of their brown tort?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BillyIVbass, Jan 9, 2012.

1. BillyIVbass

BillyIVbass

Sep 24, 2008
    PA
    Gear Reviews Guitar World Online
    So I want a new pickguard for my 3-tone sunburst MIA P-bass with a rosewood board. I'm nervous to drop $50 on a replacement Fender as people say the old stock can shrink.

Anyone ever shop with Dragonfire and/or do you think the color is close enough to the Fender? Is there a better product out there? I mean for $11.95 I guess it's worth the gamble.

Dragonfire Guitars

[​IMG]

2. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    my biggest problem with that guard is that it's 3-ply and IMO tortoise fender basses only look 'right' with a 4-ply on them.

3. I'm interested in nice Tortoise shell pickguards for my p bass as well...

Johnk you should have a favorite source for your p bass pickguard needs?

Is the Fender 62 RI the only way?

4. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    yep. the fender 62 AVRI is the only one that i use.

5. BillyIVbass

BillyIVbass

Sep 24, 2008
    PA
    Gear Reviews Guitar World Online
    I want to go Fender but ahhhh this Dragonfire is close to $40 cheaper. Decisions.

6. Yeah, thats what keeping me from buying the Fender RI as well...but I think that Dragonfire looks just like those tortoise Pg's that come on Squiers....it doesn't look nothing like tortoise. It looks very "cheap".

Hey, this must be different...at $12 bucks, I don't see a loss there. Pull the trigger! :D

7. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2005
    Kansas City, MO
    Why are these so cheap? I'm gonna order a white pearl guard for the Strat I'm getting ready to mod.

8. DanMetiv

DanMetiv

Mar 13, 2011
    I just found these today... I'm gonna order one for a Squire P-Bass I payed $40 for. I'll keep you posted on my impression.

9. SwagAttack

SwagAttack

Sep 14, 2011
    Bay Area, CA
    I have actually bought the red pearloid one from dragonfire for my squier. It looks like the picture, but not sure of the one the op is looking at. The pg was basically a drop in, the only mod I had to do to it for my squier was just file the pu part and drill like 2 screws in. Worth the money to me, even to just try since it seemed like good quality.