1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Dragonfly PBass pickguards for $11.95? Anybody?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bumperbass, Mar 12, 2013.

1. bumperbass

bumperbass Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2012
  2. bumperbass

Jun 19, 2012
    Bump!
    No one has bought a pickguard from these guys?

3. Billy K

Billy K

Nov 5, 2009
    North Bay Marin
    I put some on my Fender the Blue with matching control plate ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363657011.371611.

4. audioglenn

audioglenn

Jul 14, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    I've bought several P and J pick guards from these guys. I did have to do some minor "whittling" on one to get it to fit, but the rest have been fine. Good deal for a real reasonable price!

5. ERIC31

ERIC31

Jul 1, 2002
    Maricopa, AZ
    Thanks for that link! I need a few new pickguards and the prices are great!

6. bumperbass

Jun 19, 2012
    I went with another seller, as I didn't get as much feedback with this post as I thought I would. I guess I figured a decent guard for $11.95 was a pretty darn good deal, but like everything I buy on the internet, I read reviews and I guess I didn't get enough good ones to take the jump with Dragonfly. I'd still like to hear how yours fits and your opinion of the quality, Eric. Let us know.

7. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Emeryville, Ca
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    We've been building some basses here, and pickguard fit is a major PITA! We were thinking about getting them blank, and cutting the pickup holes, etc., out with a 1/4" flush trim routerbit; we did this on a stupid expensive J pickguard yesterday, when the neck pickup hole was too small. Ya get damned clean holes, that way!

8. bumperbass

Jun 19, 2012
    Sometimes I wonder why there aren't more complaints on TB about this. The PG on my used MIM bass was more than scratched. There were places in it that had deep places almost like it was shaved. When I took it off, it was obvious that the holes weren't perfect. Some were so bad, the hole in the bass was at the corner of the hole in the guard, but with all screws in it was OK; no ripples or any other visible problems. There is no way I am plugging holes in my bass and drilling new ones. No way. A few places I shopped for a guard said something like "As with all pickguards, some trimming may be required for proper fit". I ended up buying one on ebay because the seller had a good feedback rating and had lots of comments on how well his guards fit. The problem may very well be my bass, I don't know yet. With CNC machines, I always thought pickguard and bass holes were predictable, programmable, and pretty darned close. We'll see. Very frustrating, indeed.

9. uOpt

uOpt

Jul 21, 2008
    Boston, MA, USA
    That's very nice.

But how do they sound? :)

10. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY Supporting Member

I went for an eBay jazz guard too. Squier VMJ I expect to have to fit it 10 bucks I guess it's worth a try.

11. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Emeryville, Ca
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    What's the best pickguard for metal?

What's the best metal for pickguards?

12. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    A reflective one?

13. bumperbass

Jun 19, 2012
    For heavy metal, a 1/4" thick steel pickguard.
    For hard rock, a 1/8" granite pickguard.

14. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    For Folk, a bit of paper mache and some beads. For New Country, some crushed beer cans. Geezer Rock - Melmac (remember?). I would have said recycled vinyl records, but they are back in vogue...

15. bumperbass

Jun 19, 2012

You're showing your age, Turnaround. Melmac? Had a good laugh. I haven't even heard that word for 40 years!

"In construction, melmac is used for just about any type of dinnerware; serving bowls were common, as well as plates, cups, and glasses. Any type of color pigment could be added to the melamine during the molding process. As a result, dinnerware was created in a number of colors and patterns. During the 1950s, solid but somewhat muted colors such as seafoam or pea green were popular. The 1960s saw the creation of many interesting color combinations, including some that reflected the psychedelic look that was so popular in fashion during the latter part of the decade".

16. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Nov 26, 2010
    I got a pearloid P pickguard from them. It fit the neck and curves alright, but the pickup hole was too small, so I had to go through the hassle of getting that straitened out. And I didn't even bother with the control cavity portion. I just cut it off and stuck with my homebrew P-bass control plate.