1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD Drake Custom 4-string semi-hollow bass 32" scale

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Drake Custom, Sep 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drake Custom

Drake Custom Commercial User

Aug 24, 2010
    Iowa
    Builder/Owner:Drake Custom Bass Guitars
    http://www.myspace.com/drakecustombass/photos/27510172#a=0&i=27510177
    http://www.myspace.com/drakecustombass/photos/27510172#a=0&i=27510172

For Sale: Drake Custom semi-hollow bodied 4 string bass guitar serial number 070610 (Betty).
    This bass recently received the blue ribbon in the Iowa State Fair’s wood working luthier’s division. Her specs are: 5 piece quarter sawn Mahogany neck with 2 Wenge stringers running the length. Inside there is a dual action truss rod and 2 carbon fiber bars to give her the strength. Next her Macassar Ebony fret board has a 32 inch scale with 20 frets. Pearl oval inlays mark her positions and match the pearl in the logo inlay on the head plate. Her head plate is made from the scraps of the top wood from the body and match very well in color and figure. The back head plate is made from sligtly figured Maple and has 2 Wenge stripes to match the neck's stringers. She measures 1.5 inches wide at the nut and around 2.5 inches at her 20th fret. She weighs in at a little under 9 pounds.
    Her bodacious body is topped with nicely figured Curly Maple and is relief carved with a slight German curve around her horns. The back is made of very old Mahogany that was reclaimed from wood removed from an old historical building in Des Moines that was being renovated (the neck wood was too). The entire bass is finished in a light satin varnish to bring out her luster and protect her from wear and tear.
    For her electronics she has EMG HB 4 string humbuckers that have a nice warm punch to them. Each pickup is mounted into a ring made of Macassar Ebony to match the fret board. Satin finished Hipshot Ultra-Lite tuners, Supertone bridge, Rosewood knobs, and large chrome strap buttons round out her hardware.

Bass is for sale for $900. No trades.

Buyer will pay shipping and insurance. Please PM for quote.

For pictures please refer to:
    http://www.drakecustombass.com/betty-070610

Returns:

I know that buying any instrument without being able to play it can be a stressful venture therefore I offer a money back guarantee as long as the instrument is returned within 7 days of receipt and is in 100% same condition as it was sent. I will inspect the instrument carefully upon return. Any damage or modifications may result in deductions from the refund. I must receive notice of your intent to return within 3 days of the receipt of the instrument. Buyer must pay return shipping and insurance.

2. brett7276

brett7276 Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2009
    Indianapolis
    your basses look seriously cool..Think I may have to buy myself an "Angel" bass when funds permit...where in Iowa are you? I lived in Cedar Rapids and Keokuk briefly....cool see a builder of quality insturments in that region of the world

3. larro

larro

Feb 8, 2008
    That's one of the most beautiful basses I've ever seen!

4. Drake Custom

Aug 24, 2010
    Iowa
    Thanks for the kind words. My shop is in Nevada, Iowa which is near Ames or 30 miles north of Des Moines. There are a few builders in Iowa but I believe I'm the only one who specializes in bass.

5. Do you have any sound samples?

6. Drake Custom

Aug 24, 2010
    Iowa
    I do not have the ability to record decent sound samples at this time but would like to in the future. As for sound, I have a difficult time describing it in words but..... I have been working with tones on Betty and I have found that she has many possible workable tones. If you favor the neck PU you get more of a round, warm, slighty scooped tone but if you favor the bridge you get a tighter punchier tone especially if you pluck over the bridge pickup. The tone control allows you to dial in the right amount of definition or fundamental depending on which way you turn. I prefer a solid, warmer, punchy tone so I have the bridge PU all up and the neck slighty rolled off. The tone control about half way and you get a nice focused, smooth, LO Mid that lets everyone hear your notes without any clackiness. This bass is not good for Metal (obviously) or slap style as the medium scale has less tension on the strings and a hard attack may have more fret noise than a 34 inch scale. There is something to be said about using the right tool for the job. Thanks for your question.

7. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    Hey Drake, not to rain on your parade, but it seems that you have ventured into a rule violation here... I don't think you can post in the classifieds as a builder. You should check up on the rules quickly!!

8. Drake Custom

Aug 24, 2010
    Iowa
    There is always someone out there to rain on a parade. You are right and I should have read more closely. It is hard to consider myself as a company but according to the regs, I guess I am. So I will end my thread and not sell my basses through Talkbass classifieds. Thanks for the adivce and everyone's nice comments.
    Drake

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 25, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.