1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Drake Custom basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ShiftyShift, Jun 28, 2012.

1. ShiftyShift

ShiftyShift

Mar 12, 2012
    Earlier this week I walked into my local music store, and played most of the basses there, including an oddball that I originally thought was a Carl Thompson, until I saw a bolt-on neck. I asked the owner, and he told me it was a Drake. Now, I've never heard of Drake basses, but I picked it up and played it a bit. It sounded pretty sweet, with simple controls, and a relatively no frills aesthetic. I like it. It had a pretty slim neck, with great fretwork, and a very nice Gaboon Ebony fretboard. I did some searching on TB, but not really much info. Anybody else played these wonderful basses?

2. makaspar

makaspar Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Drake is on TB; go check out the Luthiers Corner, he posts a lot of his builds there.

3. bassvirtuoso

bassvirtuoso My God, it's full of chrome! Gold Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2006
    Nebraska
    I own Paula, which I custom ordered from Andrew:

http://www.drakecustombass.com/paula-031712

I know Andrew personally and he's a great guy. His craftsmanship and eye for detail is second to none. I came to him with my Paula idea and he really knocked it out of the ballpark.

He does regularly post his builds in progress both on his site and sometimes on here in the Luthiers Corner.

4. Corey Y

Corey Y Guest

Jun 3, 2010
    I had Andrew make me this one, earlier this year:

http://www.drakecustombass.com/mk-4-010212

He does excellent work and has great communication skills. I ended up talking to Andrew over the phone about what I wanted, after emailing back and forth a little. That's what clenched having him do a build for me, we sort of got past the laundry list of specs and onto what I was looking to get out of the bass. If you're into his style, it's definitely worth it and a good value for the level of quality. His woodworking skills are fantastic and he makes beautiful looking and playing instruments.

There's some build threads in the Luthier's forum from him and he has detailed galleries of builds in progress on his website.

5. bassvirtuoso

bassvirtuoso My God, it's full of chrome! Gold Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2006
    Nebraska
    If you live in Kansas, I know which bass you're talking about. That bass has a lovely flame top on it. I never got to play it but I saw it getting it's finish in Andrew's shop a while back.

6. ShiftyShift

ShiftyShift

Mar 12, 2012
    a Custom 4 currently residing in Massachussets Street Music? Yeah, thats the one. I saw it when I went to check out a P Bass (I didn't see it) and I forgot to ask the clerk after I played the Drake :D Small world though, nice to hear a story behind it. I'd love to get it, but I don't think I'll have enough time to scrape up the dough, especially with the great price on the beauty.

7. jongor

jongor

Jan 11, 2003
    Maine
    The drake link posted above was blocked by my virus software as being a malicious site.