Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Drastic Measures...

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by ZuluFunk, Jul 31, 2002.

1. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    How I wish I could find a CD copy of that!!!

I bought it back in 1991. I had it on casette but it basically got destroyed/lost over the years.

There were two tunes that I played all the time and I'd love to revisit them now that I'm playing fretless. Of course I'll have to adjust for 5-string vs 6 in some cases.

One was Gizmo (my 2-year old daughter call me Gizmo for some reason). I can't remember the name of the other one. It opened up with this hammer-on on the the D string I think. Then had a really nice melodic verse twice through. Then a time change going into this nice tapping segment with a sax going along on the hook. A solo section, then the begining theme again.

I'm rambling. It was on the opposite side from Gizmo.

I never was sure of the name.

ANy help would be appreciated. And if anyone has a lead on a copy (because it's out of print) p[lease pass it on.

Thanks!!!

2. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    There's a version of Gizmo on Michael's recent duo CD with David Cullen - well worth checking, as it's an all round excellent CD.

I'm sure Michael will answer the rest of the stuff, but I was speaking with Steve Rodby recently, and he was saying that Drastic Measures is one of the CDs he's most proud of being involved with, and has nothing but the highest praise for Michael's playing and artistry... not bad from someone who spends all day every day working with Pat Metheny and Lyle Mays... :oops:)

(BTW, Steve says hi, Michael :oops:)

(BTW2 - that's Steve Rodby who says hi, not me referring to my self in the third person, NAMM-show-style... :oops:)

(BTW3, but Steve "the S'man" Lawson does say hi as well... ) LOL

cheers

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

3. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    I'll look into it today Steve, thanks,
    JZ

4. Michael Manring

Michael Manring TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Thanks so much for your interest in Drastic Measures, John! (And "hi" to both Steves!) I'm sorry to say I don't have much advice on finding a copy. They do show up used now and again, but sometimes for more than the original price. I'm currently negotiating for a re-release of my CD Thonk and if that goes well, perhaps I can talk someone into re-releasing Drastic Measures as well, but at present there aren't any plans. My apologies!

I should mention that I also talked my friends Larry Kassin and Tom Darter into playing "Gizmo" and it appears on our new live CD, Scatter.

5. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Michael,
    No need to apologize for things over which you have no control.

I'll continue to search.

In the meantime, I will get to ordering Scatter.

6. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Michael

what is this 'scatter' album of which you speak??? There's no mention of it on your site...

tell all!

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

7. Michael Manring

Michael Manring TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Hi Steve,

Scatter is a new CD that Larry, Tom and I recorded at our usual haunt, Noe Valley Ministry. Tom writes interesting, epic sort of Berg-meets-Bird serial bebop tunes; Larry writes melodic, often Latin-ish pieces and I contributed "Gizmo" to the proceedings. There's a lot of improv and freedom in the music. We've been getting together to play a show at the Ministry every 3 or 4 months or so for the last few years, so we thought it might be nice to record some shows. Perhaps I shouldn't have mentioned it because I don't think they've managed to get in on amazon.com or CD Baby yet, but hopefully it will be there soon.

Thanks for asking!

8. I've got Thonk, and it's a great album!

it's cool that it's being re-released. I'd love to get Drastic Measures as well.

9. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"